Tropic Bird BVI - Capt. Mike Bloss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dove with Capt. Mike Bloss 5 different times aboard one of the very first Live-a-boards in the Caribbean; the Tropic Bird out of Tortola BVI. This was back in the 80's. The boat was a converted German mind sweeper. Does anyone know what ever happened to the Tropic Bird, or Mike Bloss? He was a real free spirit and I heard that he went to the Mediterrnean. Any info on this would be appreciated, and if you dove off the Tropic Bird, I would really like to hear from you.

Barracuda2

Man!! I must be getting old if I can't find one person who knows of or dove on the Tropic Bird! Anybody out there even at least heard of her?

Barracuda2 :bounce:

I haven't been diving as long as you but I have been diving the BVI's for many years and I have never heard of the Tropic Bird. That isn't saying much though because people come and go down there are the time. I do know that there is an old mine sweeper that was sunk just of the northeast of St. Thomas, maybe just possibly it's that boat.

Hello my name is Dan Morrison and i worked on tropic bird under mike bloss. send me an email
Dan

Barracuda2:
Man!! I must be getting old if I can't find one person who knows of or dove on the Tropic Bird! Anybody out there even at least heard of her?

captdan:
Hello my name is Dan Morrison and i worked on tropic bird under mike bloss. send me an email
Dan

Captain Dan---Make sure to check your PM's. The board won't let me send you an email. It's really great hearing from you after all this time.

It's nice you received a reply, but the rest of us would like to know as well what happened to the Tropic Bird. I remember it being named as a liveaboard, but I started diving in 82 in the Keys with my brother and was on St. John with my first trip. Twenty years later and he doesn't dive...but my wife does now...which is a great thing. Anyway, what happened to the "Tropic Bird"?

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

caymaniac:
Anyway, what happened to the "Tropic Bird"?

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

As soon as I make contact with captain Dan, and find out, I'll let you know. Dan was the first mate on the Tropic Bird back in the 80"s. I dove with him when he captained the Bay Island Aggressor in the 90's. He hasn't contacted me yet.

Barracuda2

Hello Barracuda 2
Tropic Bird is operating in the Galopagos under the name Coral 1, she looks differant but it is her. Mike Bloss got into private yachting as an engineer. Last I heard he was working on a boat called Double Haven, I think he is still there. Lost touch with most of the crew but have stayed in touch with a few. Let me know who the crew was when you were there and I will you in on the ones I know about.
Talk soon,
Dan Morrison

captdan:
Hello Barracuda 2
Tropic Bird is operating in the Galopagos under the name Coral 1, she looks differant but it is her. Mike Bloss got into private yachting as an engineer. Last I heard he was working on a boat called Double Haven, I think he is still there. Lost touch with most of the crew but have stayed in touch with a few. Let me know who the crew was when you were there and I will you in on the ones I know about.
Talk soon,
Dan Morrison
Hey Dan, glad to see you're still around. Just a heads-up, I got married and am now living in Pittsburgh and no longer in Paradise Pennsylvania. I hope you still remember me (Joe D.). I saw that Gwen got married. Does anyone know what happened to Margo? How about Albert and Brixie?

Hey Joe D,
I'm alive and well and living in florida, Give me call 305-633-9761 Ask for Dan is sales.
The short story is married with one baby girl and a little boy on the way. I have stayed in touch with a few of the old tropic bird folks.
Give a call,
Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom