Taking a Cruise to Aruba and Curacao and Need Dive Shop Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings all. I have a friend of mine who is taking her family on a cruise that includes Aruba and Curacao. They don't want to go through the cruise ships folks for dive shops and would prefer to look for other shops that would be helpful. For those who have been, are there any dive shops that you would recommend for this group? They are new divers. They would have to coordinate the dive with the cruise ships port stops.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dive with Clive in Aruba. Picked me up just outside the pier. Drove me to his house where shop is to pick up equipment. CLEANEST garage and compressor I have ever seen. You could eat off floor.
Two divers on boat that day including me. First was to two submerged planes, second to sponge reef. Both duves beautiful and well managed by Clive. Good briefing.
At end of dive he noticed oil on his anchor line, went out of his way to ensure authorities were notified so they could do a survey of the area.
Would have no issue diving a week with Clive.

Dive with Clive in Aruba. Picked me up just outside the pier. Drove me to his house where shop is to pick up equipment. CLEANEST garage and compressor I have ever seen. You could eat off floor.
Two divers on boat that day including me. First was to two submerged planes, second to sponge reef. Both duves beautiful and well managed by Clive. Good briefing.
At end of dive he noticed oil on his anchor line, went out of his way to ensure authorities were notified so they could do a survey of the area.
Would have no issue diving a week with Clive.

Thank you Kmart. Is that the name of the shop? "Clive"? What would I Google to find his shop?

Forgot to mention. On our arrival back at the dock, a government inspector was waiting to do a safety inspection. I rinsed my gear on the dock while Clive demonstrated all the required equipment was in place. Took all of 10 mins. Officer quipped to me after some brief chit chat before his departure " I wish all charter boats were this well maintained. It would make life simpler for me"
Clive is top notch and a true pleasure to dive with.

I would dive with Jads on Aruba. I would dive with Curious2 dive on Curacao. I dive a lot with both of these guys.

On a cruise with Holland America in late February/early March, I dove with Happy Divers on Aruba and Bas Harts Diving on Curacao.

My wife and I went with Happy Divers because the ship didn't arrive in Aruba until 1:00 PM, and they were the only dive op who would do a two-tank dive in the afternoon. Their op is very small -- a Zodiac that holds about 6 people and gear. They did their best to provide a good experience. The briefings were good and the DM did a good job of guiding. My wife and I were a little disappointed in the first dive on the Antilla. The viz was poor, there was little marine life and most of the wreck is just twisted steel and hull plates. The second dive, Arashi, was much better -- better viz, better coral, plenty of fish, eels and a couple of turtles. Going back to the dock was a long, bouncy, wet ride. Once there, they were great with dockside service, even rinsing our gear and wetsuits.

There is a reason why Trip Advisor ranks Bas Harts Diving as the second best water attraction on Curacao. At first, I was suspicious when I saw that all but one review had given him "excellent" rating. The dissenting one ranked him "very good." He is beyond a doubt, worth every accolade. First, he was waiting for me at the ship when I got off. My wife was coming down with a cold and decided not to go at the last minute. No problem, Bas loaded my gear and off we went. Driving from the dock to the western sites was a tour in itself, with Bas pointing out numerous features of the geography and history of Curacao. He was very willing to stop for a few "photo ops" of landscape, flamingos and an old, abandoned plantation house.

Both dives were shore dives. And, Bas is super prepared for the rocky coast, rolling out woven mats to lay out gear and stand on while getting into wetsuits and BCs. His rental gear is in top shape, too. He buys new every year. (I usually like to bring our own, but decided to leave the BC and reg at home for the cruise.) The dive briefings are very thorough and prepared me for shore entries and exits.

Both dives were excellent. I was very impressed with Curacao under the waves. Lots of fish and large ones, too. It reminded me of what I used to see on Grand Cayman before the lionfish arrived -- large schools sergeant majors, French grunts, snappers and lots of parrotfish. We saw turtles, a large slipper lobster making its way through the coral, spotted eels, a very large porcupinefish and more spotted drums than I have seen in a long time. The only bummer was my camera, which decided not to fire its strobe after my test shot. (Bas even helped me troubleshoot that issue.) But, even that was not a bad thing. Bas also brings his camera along. For once, I was not just the one behind the camera, but got some very nice shots of myself and assorted sea life. Bas is a very good photographer.

The bottom line is that I think Bas Harts Diving is about as good as you could possibly ask for when it comes to diving on Curacao.

On a cruise with Holland America in late February/early March, I dove with Happy Divers on Aruba and Bas Harts Diving on Curacao.

My wife and I went with Happy Divers because the ship didn't arrive in Aruba until 1:00 PM, and they were the only dive op who would do a two-tank dive in the afternoon. Their op is very small -- a Zodiac that holds about 6 people and gear. They did their best to provide a good experience. The briefings were good and the DM did a good job of guiding. My wife and I were a little disappointed in the first dive on the Antilla. The viz was poor, there was little marine life and most of the wreck is just twisted steel and hull plates. The second dive, Arashi, was much better -- better viz, better coral, plenty of fish, eels and a couple of turtles. Going back to the dock was a long, bouncy, wet ride. Once there, they were great with dockside service, even rinsing our gear and wetsuits.

There is a reason why Trip Advisor ranks Bas Harts Diving as the second best water attraction on Curacao. At first, I was suspicious when I saw that all but one review had given him "excellent" rating. The dissenting one ranked him "very good." He is beyond a doubt, worth every accolade. First, he was waiting for me at the ship when I got off. My wife was coming down with a cold and decided not to go at the last minute. No problem, Bas loaded my gear and off we went. Driving from the dock to the western sites was a tour in itself, with Bas pointing out numerous features of the geography and history of Curacao. He was very willing to stop for a few "photo ops" of landscape, flamingos and an old, abandoned plantation house.

Both dives were shore dives. And, Bas is super prepared for the rocky coast, rolling out woven mats to lay out gear and stand on while getting into wetsuits and BCs. His rental gear is in top shape, too. He buys new every year. (I usually like to bring our own, but decided to leave the BC and reg at home for the cruise.) The dive briefings are very thorough and prepared me for shore entries and exits.

Both dives were excellent. I was very impressed with Curacao under the waves. Lots of fish and large ones, too. It reminded me of what I used to see on Grand Cayman before the lionfish arrived -- large schools sergeant majors, French grunts, snappers and lots of parrotfish. We saw turtles, a large slipper lobster making its way through the coral, spotted eels, a very large porcupinefish and more spotted drums than I have seen in a long time. The only bummer was my camera, which decided not to fire its strobe after my test shot. (Bas even helped me troubleshoot that issue.) But, even that was not a bad thing. Bas also brings his camera along. For once, I was not just the one behind the camera, but got some very nice shots of myself and assorted sea life. Bas is a very good photographer.

The bottom line is that I think Bas Harts Diving is about as good as you could possibly ask for when it comes to diving on Curacao.
+1 for Bas Harts. Spent the day diving with a DM one on one. 3 spectacular shore dives. Waiting for me at the pier and drove me around like stated before showing off the sites of the island.
Bas was there in person at the pier waiting but due to the amount of divers coming ashore that day, he had arranged me to dive with a separate dive shop who he subs clients out to. They do this when either one has more than they can handle, pass clients back and forth. That being said, the time I spent on the island was spectacular and felt well looked after in all aspects.
I had my own equipment except for BCD, they provided a well maintained TUSA BCD that worked well.
Just looked at my log book, all dives over an hour.
Can't miss with Bas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom