February Dives in St. Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DenbyS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

In video 2, the footage of the squid at night, then the small octopus rapidly changing color & pattern, were neat to see.

What did you think of diving St. Croix compared to other places you've been? What made you choose St. Croix?

Richard.

I noticed Sweet Bottom at Carambola but the the actual dive was Cane Bay. Are they shuttling folks again to Cane Bay?

Reggie in Midland, NC

Thanks for that; It reminds me of why I loved St.Croix so much.

The water is not as clear, but its also unmolested which negates any issues I had.. I mean no cruse ships and all the BS of places like Cozumel and Cayman. You can truly relax there.

The Pelagic's are not used to people so some are shy and others more inquisitive. Around 140'+ sharks start following you because they are definitely not used to seeing CCR guys in their territory. I saw 3 of the largest angel fish I've ever seen swimming together in St.Croix hanging in the 130' range ( I mean I was taken back ( like WFT.. angel fish get that big feeling?)), and right off shore there is a spot called the Japanese Gardens which is recreational depth and absolutely teaming with life as you can spend hours just in that spot watching stuff; I sat there for a while in the sand and just watched baby eels come out of the rocks, squirrel fish swimming around me, and trumpet fish blowing the sand around me for food... great dives.

I also witnessed of of the most intense "green flashes" I've ever seen, which actually startled me while walking along the area in front of the Fort and bars... what a great spot St. Croix... I'll be going back someday.

Richard, I really only have a couple of trips to Cozumel to use for a reference. The dives were all shore dives. I liked diving right of the beach at the resort or Cane Bay only about a mile away. Cozumel had more fish for sure and I attribute that to the Marine Park. St. Croix had a strong reef shark presence. Coral was equivalent I thought but Cozumel has the topography edge.

St. Croix seemed more laid back, no crowds, top side or under. The dive operator was great, very attentive and competent, and friendly.

I chose St. Croix because I have a non-diving wife, and I myself like a well-rounded vacation. As you know, the island is not that developed and rich in historical attractions. It is very geared toward those that want to explore on their own yet there is also a good number of eating and drinking establishments, beaches, etc. We loved roaming the island and the diving was great for this mid-west dweller.

I only squeezed in six dives, there is so much more to see. On a return trip I'd like to dive Salt River Canyon, and the wall at North Star, and the wrecks at Butler Bay/Armageddon.

Thanks for that; It reminds me of why I loved St.Croix so much.

The water is not as clear, but its also unmolested which negates any issues I had.. I mean no cruse ships and all the BS of places like Cozumel and Cayman. You can truly relax there.

What type of visibility is normal for St. Croix? I'm trying to figure out where we are going to go this summer, wife wants to do something different other than our normal Bonaire/Roatan/Cozumel trips. This is one place that I was considering as well (along with one of the cayman islands).

What type of visibility is normal for St. Croix? I'm trying to figure out where we are going to go this summer, wife wants to do something different other than our normal Bonaire/Roatan/Cozumel trips. This is one place that I was considering as well (along with one of the cayman islands).

I'm interested in St. Croix as well. If your wife is a diver and you haven't been there yet, try Little Cayman. Wonderful diving but not a ton of other stuff to do on the island.

Which resort did you stay at? Was there an onsite dive op. or did you have to bring tanks? About how far was the swim out? Did you need a dive flag? Any tanks larger than 80 cf?

I'm trying to get a feel for the shore diving workflow

I stayed at the Carambola Beach Resort. Sweet Bottom Dive Center is located on the resort property, right by the beach. They have a really nice set up, and is shown in the opening clip of one of my videos, followed by a clip taken at Cane Bay Beach. They have nitrox available, and I think they may have al100's available if requested. In doing my research it either them or the Cane Bay shop, or both had the larger tanks.

I did a six dive package with them which included two dives on the first day on Davis Bay Wall which is right at the resort. The kick out from the beach was minimal, maybe 60 yds/less than 10 minutes. We assembled gear at the shop. They then put all the gear in a golf cart and we walked to the west end of the beach where we enter. No dive flags used anywhere. Post dive, gear goes back in the golf cart and you walk back to the shop to rinse and store your gear. Easy. I was paired with one other dive and there were two DM's, one just along to shot lion fish.

The next day we shuttled the short distance down the road to Cane Bay. The kick out to the wall was more like 100 yards here and took an easy 15 minutes. On these two dives, there were three divers but since I was using nitrox, I was not paired with the other two and basically allowed to do my own dive with two DM's, one along again just to shoot the lion fish. I liked the way the operator gives each diver the experience they want. NO herding people together.

The last dives were afternoon and night dives at the F'sted pier. We loaded gear and divers met the DM and gear van at the pier. If I had done more dives, they would have extended the package pricing and I probably could have gone unguided just renting a tank if I had wanted to do so. For boat dives, they will refer you to one of the other operators. The DM was encouraging me to check out Armageddon with the operator in F'sted.

Without a lot of dives and boat rides, it was easy to get in two shore dives and meet my wife for lunch.

Thinking of going to St. Croix or Virgin Gorda at the beginning of July can't make my mind up which.

By the way we had to stop shooting Lion Fish on the Atlantic side of Sint Maarten, the Reef Sharks were starting to go crazy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom