St. Croix or Tortola?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nivek Llekots

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

For my next dive trip I've narrowed it down St. Croix or Tortola, I plan to go at the beginning of July, does anyone have experience of both and can explain the main differences?

Thanks,
Nivek

The basic difference in the diving on St. Croix and Tortola (and the rest of the BVI and even St. Thomas and St. John in the USVI), is the way the islands were all created. The BVI and rest of the USVI is volcanic in nature and thus has flat, continental shelf type of diving. St. Croix was formed tectonically (the merging of the North American plate under the Caribbean plate) and thus sits atop a wall......a 13,200' wall that is almost vertical in places. That's the main thing that sets us apart.

In addition St. Croix also has reefs (the largest living reef of any Caribbean island and the second longest barrier reef in the Caribbean), wrecks (5 within 100 yards of each other), and a Pier (the famous Frederiksted Pier which, in my opinion is one of the top 10 dive sites on the planet, especially at night).

There's the differences. You'll love the diving regardless of whether you choose St. Croix or Tortola, we just feel the diving on St. Croix is much better due to the reasons above.

Want to shore dive? Can't do that off Tortola. Also generally speaking many of the better known dives are across the channel in the little group of islands south of Virgin Gorda. When you see the Salt Island (the Rhone wreck) Norman, Cooper Island etc. dive sites listed - they're all in that area. Tortola boats make the run across daily - less than an hour depending on boat speed.

Tortola does have better acess to Jost Van Dyke which is west of it and/or the Dogs which are north of it - compared to the other BVI's. Anegada is a longer boat ride for any of the operators. This kind of sums it up although it's a little incomplete - there are a couple good dives off Great Camanoe for instance.

Bvimap7.gif

Plus you've got the Cane Bay Wall shore dives off the north side of St. Croix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom