Aruba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wake4rick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just returned from a vacation with extended family in Aruba. I only was able to squeeze in 1 day of diving. I was surprised that when I called around to the dive shops that a 30 minute dive max was standard. I read other threads that Dive Aruba and Jads were recommended. I was unable to coordinate with either shop, Dive Aruba is a 1 man show according to other threads and JADS is at the southern end of the island. I finally settled on Aqua Windies as it was close to the hotel area and answered the phone. The boat is located near the cruise ships. Aqua Windies said that they would give me 45 minutes and that we would go the Antilla. They cost is a little more than the competitors and I wanted to go the wreck, so it was Aqua Windies. We were the first on the wreck as about 8 boats showed up as we were under water. The dive master knew that I wanted a 60 minute dive and she gave it to me. After I surfaced I noticed that there no boats left at the site. The wreck is falling apart and the fish life is so so. The second dive was at another wreck that was used as a decoy in WWII. It was quite shallow and had some nudibrachs which is what I like. I also got a 60 minute dive here as well. Aruba is not a great scuba destination, but works good for a family trip of non divers. Don't go here on a dive vacation. Aqua Windies recommended Jads to me when I was shopping around, but short dives are the normal for Aruba.

I lived in Aruba for awhile,and now i visit quite often. I always dive with Happy Divers Aruba or JADS. They both are great,that let you dive for as long as you can stay under and both are very safety conscious. Its a shame that you didn't have a better time or see some of the better dive sites. Aruba does have some beautiful reefs,also the Jane C,the airplane,Cabez,which i haven't done yet,I'm a little scared to jump off the cliff,Baby Beach has a beautiful reef,all though current can get crazy,I believe there is another wreck called the Mi Dushi. It sounds like you kind of got stuck in the tourist trap part. If you ever go back,Check out Mangel Halto outer reef,and go with JADs,they will even pick you up!

Seconded. If you're there anyway, you can dive (the Antilla is good, and I had a good shallow drift dive there), but I wouldn't go there TO dive.

Wake4rick, how was the water temperature?

Sorry you had a lousy dive. I dove with Jads last spring and spent 1:10 dive time at Arashi. Saw so many turtles lost count. I also was not impressed with Antiilla as I much rather dive reef.

Agree that I would rather dive Bonaire or Curacao, but when I dove Aruba Dive Aruba (Dive with Clive) did a great job and we certainly weren't limited to 30 min

I spend 7 months a year in Aruba and I have never heard of a 30 min dive. If you want the BEST diving on Aruba, you have to head south to the coral gardens. The fingers are awesome and Mangel Halto is great. I would have to pass on the north dives like the Antillas because there is no coral and no reef. I also say if you just want to dive, go to Bonaire or Curacao. It blows Aruba away. I have tried it 5 times. Aruba Bob

I was surprised that when I called around to the dive shops that a 30 minute dive max was standard. I read other threads that Dive Aruba and Jads were recommended. I was unable to coordinate with either shop, Dive Aruba is a 1 man show according to other threads and JADS is at the southern end of the island.

Had a great time in Aruba when there in '09, but the only dive turn off for me were the swells up to 8 ft. First time I ever got sick on a dive boat. Dove with Dive Aruba. Five of my 8 dives were 60 minutes or longer, which included the Antilla. Shortest was 45 min.

Agree that there are "better" (whatever that means) places to dive, but wouldn't tell anyone not to dive there and short them out of that experience. My buddy and I did only one day of diving in Puerto Rio earlier this year because he wasn't impressed on that particular day. I would have gone more on my own, but logistics didn't allow for it (fortunately we were diving Cayman the next week.) I think that one day of boat dives is not necessarily indicative of the diving scene and enough to draw a conclusion that all diving in a location is "not great."

Also wouldn't tell anyone not to go to Aruba because it's too windy. Even though you get sandblasted on some of the beaches, it's a beautiful island with plenty of activities, although there are equally beautiful islands that are less windy with even more to do.

Hello? wake4rick are you still with us? Please if you are able tell me the water temperature while you were diving. Thanks so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom