What gear should come with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

Looks like my move to Curacao for work is happening. I have accumulated tons of gear over the course of working as a DM. I need to know what I should keep to bring with me and what to sell and make some room

Current Gear:
HOG 23lb wing with SS backplate with integrated weight (200 dives on it)
Halcyon Infinity System with 40lb eclipse wing and AL backplate (never been wet)
Hollis SMS 75 (5 dives on it)

HOG D1 Cold Single Tank Reg with spg and 7 ft hose
Atomic ST1 first stage
Apex XTX200 second stage

Galileo Luna wrist mount
Mares Puck wrist mount

Scuba Pro Jet Fins
Aqua Rockets
Atomic Blade Fins

Bare 3mm full suit
Waterproof 5mm Semi Dry
Bare Sport Flex 7mm

Hollis M1 mask
Seadive Rayblocker

Slates
Reels
SMB's

2AL 80s
2 AL 40s

Help me make a decision, cause I want to bring it all hahaha. Also I could use the cash for the move.

Curacao is all warm water resort type diving. You need one BC with a small wing, one set of fins, and will not need a 7 mm wetsuit, even in winter.
Back up reg and back up computers not a bad idea either.

Don't think I would haul my tanks down there.

Hey everyone,

Looks like my move to Curacao for work is happening. I have accumulated tons of gear over the course of working as a DM. I need to know what I should keep to bring with me and what to sell and make some room

Current Gear:
HOG 23lb wing with SS backplate with integrated weight (200 dives on it)
Halcyon Infinity System with 40lb eclipse wing and AL backplate (never been wet)
Hollis SMS 75 (5 dives on it)

HOG D1 Cold Single Tank Reg with spg and 7 ft hose
Atomic ST1 first stage
Apex XTX200 second stage

Galileo Luna wrist mount
Mares Puck wrist mount

Scuba Pro Jet Fins
Aqua Rockets
Atomic Blade Fins

Bare 3mm full suit
Waterproof 5mm Semi Dry
Bare Sport Flex 7mm

Hollis M1 mask
Seadive Rayblocker

Slates
Reels
SMB's

2AL 80s
2 AL 40s

Help me make a decision, cause I want to bring it all hahaha. Also I could use the cash for the move.

Take the HOG 23 with SS or Al plate, Atomic/Apeks regs, Luna PDC, Atomic blades, 3 mm suit, slates and reels.

Leave everything else with the exception of ; eclipse wing, hog regs, sms75,......those you must sell to me.....seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.I might be selling some of my stuff ill keep u posted when I decide to part with any of it.I know most of my diving will be recreational but i also want the ability to do some tec dives, deep deco, wreck etc. So i feel the sms will give me the most versatility.

Are you shipping stuff or is this what you can bring on your flight? You might consider a one way checked bag also. Invest in the biggest duffle bag the airlines will take and pay the $50 or whatever they charge now for a 2nd checked bag (or third?) I'm not aware that there's a travel restriction as long as you're willing to pay - I know a pro videographer who travels with 4-5 extra large Pelican cases plus a couple of scooters in separate cases. Might be a less expensive way to get a lot of gear down with you.

Unless you service them yourself, I don't think you'll find a Hog dealer there so maybe sell the regs for something more mainstream. Something on this list possibly. Service & Repair - Scuba Store & More They also sell tanks etc.

A couple of options for buying gear on Curacao:

Ocean Encounters at Lions Dive:
Retail shop with dive and snorkel gear and other merchandise
Equipment Repair Station

I've been there, it's a pretty big store. Most of the essentials and some touristy things catering to the nearby resorts.

I can't see needing the 7mil either. Even in winter low 80's are possible.

Tanks seem like a silly idea. Unless you pull the valves and ship them some slow way - even discount air cargo is likely to be more than they're worth. You have pretty typical tanks also. Which you can buy several places.

Aruba is a fairly inexpensive flight also if you really needed something. Or do a trip to Bonaire - Dive Friends has two retail locations plus their shops. And Buddy Dive seemed to have a good selection also. Or the store at Toucan Dive. Midweek on Insel Air some of those flights are still around $60 one way.

My friends wife used to guide on Curacao - she bought gear on trips thru Miami. Divers Direct is about 10 minutes from the FLL airport - we've gone there with long connections.

Review some of the recent Curacao threads, there's a member who posts occasionally who recently relocated there - he might have better insight than us tourists. I can't remember his username. I know he shows Curacao in his post info.

Last edited:
Surely don't bring the 7 mil, even on a deep dive with some decent hang time I'd think a 5 full will be plenty. Scuba Store and more can likely service all your gear, he's pretty good. Anything extra you need to ship I would send by sea it's fairly inexpensive and usually takes a week to ten days to arrive here from Miami.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom