Best operator in Aruba for the more experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Nivek,

I always dive with Clive, he runs Dive Aruba. Here's his website: Dive Aruba - Scuba Classes, Dive Trips and Equipment Rentals

He runs a very good operation, small groups usually 7 max so you will have to book your dives ahead of time, he lets you dive your computer and never rushes you. He will not be a baby-sitter but will help you if you require it. He picks up at almost all hotels, he has a tank on the pier to rinse your gear after the dive but you will have to take your gear with you every day as he does not have lockers for storage.
He has a set dive schedule for the day of the week so you can usually book your dives for the sites you want to do. Usually the only time he changes the plan is due to water conditions as it can be very windy in Aruba.

If you do not end up using Clive then the only other advice I can give you is NOT to use Mermaid. If you do end up using Clive then tell him Gary says Hello and I'll see him in March.

There are a lot of operators on the island and most seemed accommodating to needs/request. In terms of "the best", I would probably have to agree with the Dive with Clive comment. He runs a 6 pack and will let you do your dive. If someone in the group runs low on air, he takes that person to the line and the rest of the group goes on with their dives. I did some drift dives with him, and he and his son were very hands off, but always willing/able to help the newer diver if he needs it.

+1 for Dive with Clive.
Went on two dives with him in February of this year.
Clean and meticulous.

Another vote for Dive with Clive. He took me out when he had no other customers one day and the next there were just four of us.

Although I enjoyed diving with Clive, just make note that, in 2009, he was both the boat captain and dive master. On every reef dive we did, he took us down and stayed with us about 15 min before going back to the boat to take it where he thought the rest of us would be surfacing. He stayed with us when diving any wreck. He may do things differently now, but I was glad to have that experience.

We dove with Clive last week. He is still both the skipper and the dive master/guide, as mentioned by jonhall. I would agree he is great for the experienced diver, and one of the least expensive dives we've done. One of the divers in our party went through his air pretty quickly and Clive had to return with him to the boat, leaving us to guide ourselves the rest of the dive. This was not a problem for us at all, but something a newer diver might want to think about. He gave us a great tour of the Antilla wreck and in general ran a pretty good operation. He does expect that you know what you are doing, as he is not as much of a baby sitter as many other DMs you will dive with. But that worked for us (except the air sucker).

Although I enjoyed diving with Clive, just make note that, in 2009, he was both the boat captain and dive master. On every reef dive we did, he took us down and stayed with us about 15 min before going back to the boat to take it where he thought the rest of us would be surfacing. He stayed with us when diving any wreck. He may do things differently now, but I was glad to have that experience.

This was our experience too. There were four divers on the boat, one who was a semi-local who had dived wth Clive 100+ times and was accustomed to this "procedure." It was not a problem, but the thought of the boat drifting along with nobody at the helm for 20 minutes was a wee bit disconcerting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom