Dive Report: St. Maarten (better this time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove in 2014 around Simpson Bay in St. Maarten and described most of the dives I did as having sandy bottoms as opposed to reefs. There were a couple of nice wrecks in this area also.

This year my diving was just outside Great Bay, where the cruise ships come in, and I found this area to have several dive sites with reefs, an old broken up Dutch battleship wreck, and lots of sea life.

Dove with ScubaFun during a down time of the year (end of Oct/first of Nov) and thought they did a nice job of catering to me. I had some lower back pain after a day of non-diving fun and they let me reschedule when I was ready. There boats were clean, covered, and had plenty of space to move around. There was a max of 4 divers with most coming from cruise ships. Although there is another dive shop in the same area, I never saw another dive boat out when we were.

The water temp was 86 degrees with very good visibility. Paid for a shark dive a year ago, but saw reef and nurse sharks at most sites we dove. The site, Shark Hotel, is pretty much guaranteed to have sharks show up.

Aside from sharks, we saw eagle and sting rays, large lobsters, burrfish, pufferfish, eels, barracuda, lion fish, crab, angel fish, trumpet fish, large schools of fish, and more.

Glad I was able to go diving in St. Maarten again as I really enjoyed this time more than the last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom