St Thomas/St Croix(trip report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colo_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Forgive my tardiness been back for about 3 weeks and just now getting around to a little report....... First a week in St Thomas and Chris Sawyer and his operation are everything advertised..... first class the whole way, even Chris himself was leading dives one day. Nice diving although nothing big, turtles and rays are always fun to play with.......just a nice easy 3 days of diving, but i must admit to getting a little onthe cold side since the water was in the mid 70's and all I had was a skin..... but wonderful coral and very relaxed diving......... Stayed at Point Pleasant and it was ok, the plus side is an unbelievable view out towards St John and the BVI's.... the second plus was the fact that we hand a kitchen since we were way at the top of the hill and that is a long crawl after a few drinks......
Second week....... St Croix..... like diving in a coral garden, wonderful easy diving, dove with Scuba Shack, nice operation very laid back and no stress, beach bars on the beach, a job offer, got to say St Croix is a place I could live....... I do find it interesting that the dive mags and Caribbean Travel all are talking about St Croix in this months issues.(my wife wants to keep St Croix our secert)......... and everything they say is true.......... less crowds bigger coral.......... nice marine life, the pier on the west end is an intersting dive..... watching a turtle snack....... we didnt get to do any on the north shore it was a little rough but we will be going back to do Cane and Salt River......... Stayed at the Carambola and it was ok......... actually if it wasnt for the view at Point Pleasant I woould say that our accomadations were average and thankfully we had a car to get around...........

colo_diver:
Forgive my tardiness been back for about 3 weeks and just now getting around to a little report....... First a week in St Thomas and Chris Sawyer and his operation are everything advertised..... first class the whole way, even Chris himself was leading dives one day. Nice diving although nothing big, turtles and rays are always fun to play with.......just a nice easy 3 days of diving, but i must admit to getting a little onthe cold side since the water was in the mid 70's and all I had was a skin..... but wonderful coral and very relaxed diving......... Stayed at Point Pleasant and it was ok, the plus side is an unbelievable view out towards St John and the BVI's.... the second plus was the fact that we hand a kitchen since we were way at the top of the hill and that is a long crawl after a few drinks......
Second week....... St Croix..... like diving in a coral garden, wonderful easy diving, dove with Scuba Shack, nice operation very laid back and no stress, beach bars on the beach, a job offer, got to say St Croix is a place I could live....... I do find it interesting that the dive mags and Caribbean Travel all are talking about St Croix in this months issues.(my wife wants to keep St Croix our secert)......... and everything they say is true.......... less crowds bigger coral.......... nice marine life, the pier on the west end is an intersting dive..... watching a turtle snack....... we didnt get to do any on the north shore it was a little rough but we will be going back to do Cane and Salt River......... Stayed at the Carambola and it was ok......... actually if it wasnt for the view at Point Pleasant I woould say that our accomadations were average and thankfully we had a car to get around...........

You need to get back and do Cane Bay. Truly one of my more memorable dives.

Topside, if you've got a car: We had a Jeep and took a mountain trail from the Carimbola area to Frederikstead. It is an amazing ride with incredible views. The road is NOT for the faint hearted..

You're right. . .if you get back make sure you hit Salt River and Cane Bay. Very nice diving.

it is in the planning thquestion is not if but when........ spoke to my future employer and the job will be waiting..........

I lived in St. Croix for five years, if it wasn't for that dang recruiting station I probably would still be there today. Talking about the driving around the mountains!! Geez I was really a candidate for heart failure the first time I drove- which by the way, is where I learned to drive! Great island and if you start hanging around, like say..... the fishmarket, you gain the most insight to the most discreet and happening places. I know since I was a fisherman myself. I will be visiting in June and that is where I hang til the sun comes down and the party moves beachside. Anybody interested in visiting on tight budgets should give thought to valujet from New York city, not the premier airline but it will get you to Puerto Rico a WHOLE lot cheaper,from there its only a hopper to St.Croix. If your lucky to be military as I am :wink: you can catch a direct military flight from Charleston, SC once a month, to St.Croix. Just plan on buying a ticket back or catching a military flight from PR to say, Norfolk or something. Just just the website for military mac flights. I hope this helps get MORE visitors to my adopted home, originally from NYC. The reason I enlisted was because tourism was down and there was a couple of bad years, had to feed the family you know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom