50 lb lift bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcg2015

Registered
Reaction score
I am starting my technical training with TDI and it requires a 50lb lift bag. I think the purpose of the bag is redundant buoyancy, as well as for decompression stop line, but I'm not 100% as I haven't actually taken the class yet. Are there any features I should be looking for that make one better than another for the purposes of technical diving (versus search and recovery of objects)? Do you have any recommendations for lift bags? Thanks.

I used in the AN/DP class and carry 2 50lb lift bags made by XS Scuba. The features I like about them are the one way valve in the bottom with a overpressure valve in the top so they can be launched from depth and wont fall over and sink when they hit the surface. The xs scuba bags come with a velcro strap to keep them rolled up I also run that strap through the center hole of the finger spool to hold the finger spool in place so it cant get dislodged.

I also like to have the lift bags available if we are going to be waiting for a while on the surface I can inflate one and hang it from my waist belt to give me some additional lift to get my head further out of the water and it is bright yellow for visibility.

See the post that I published a few minutes ago in the "near misses and lesson learned". You will see why a closed, large volume SMB is very interesting as an alternate floating device :)

FYI, the minimum for deco procedures is a 25 lb lift bag but it's easier to find 50+ lift bags. Essentially there is ether open or closed bags. Each have there pros and cons. Discuss with your instructor which would be best for your needs.

I like the bags from Halcyon, Diverite and XS scuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a Hollis 60 lb lift bag on sale now on Amazon for $25. It has cosmetic colour flaws in 10% of the bag according to the Amazon description. Pity they do not ship to Abu Dhabi otherwise, I would have ordered it. (I will post my rant in another thread about vendors not sending equipment to another country. Grrrrrrrrrrr! :shakehead: )

Amazon.com : New Hollis 60 Lb Lift Bag : Diving Safety Gear : Sports & Outdoors

Best

GJS

FYI, the minimum for deco procedures is a 25 lb lift bag but it's easier to find 50+ lift bags. Essentially there is ether open or closed bags. Each have there pros and cons. Discuss with your instructor which would be best for your needs.

I like the bags from Halcyon, Diverite and XS scuba.

Is there any benefit to the baffled design like XS (perhaps a best of both worlds)? Is it possible to orally inflate the XS bag?

I assume you are doing your AN/DP with Dayo. If so, TJ probably has a lift bag you can purchase at a reasonable price. If you are training with him, you will deploy it a bunch at depth during training to both practice DSMB deployment and also to practice deco hangs on it. I also have subsequently used it to simulate loss of buoyancy during trimix training. I have had one dive buddy lose their wing during a dive so they needed alternate lift to surface. Kudo's for their control during a real issue. I have since relegated mine to the back closet and now use 2 large closed SMBs. No reason other than the lift bag is not well suited for ocean diving which is my primary type as it can 'deflate' if not held tight in the seas.

The lift bag is excellent during the training as it can quickly be 'deflated' and sent back down by someone on the surface. This allows for a lot of deployment practices.

The benefit of the xs bag is cost and the baffle lets you fill with exhaust from reg or air gun and reduces likely hood of emptying on the surface. No oral inflate.

I prefer the closed circuit bags (especially down the road for RB's). IMO, Halcyon's are a little more expensive, but they are the best (design, quality, construction, materials used, easy of use) CC Lift Bag and CC SMB on the market.

I like the closed bags as well, I have several though to show students as many options as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom