New to Bluefin Housing for Canon HF G30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've used an inexpensive housing for an Olympus 4040 camera for years. I decided I wanted a video camera and housing so I got the Canon HF G30 and the housing. I would like to hear any suggestions on using a video camera and housing. Thanks, Trawler

In February this year (2014) I bought the same L&M Bluefin for my new Canon G30 (as my previous Bluefin Pro with my Sony XR550 flooded). Althought the camera is quite better, the housing is a firm disillusionment. Ok it doens't fit with the camera-handgrip, but that grip was easily taken of so thta if you are a bit gentle the camera fits in without moving the infrared-cables. But more important when using the special tray for the G30 there is always vignetting (even if stabilisationsoftware is set on 'off') so we had to make a new hole to put the camera more in front, but by doing this the flip-lens couldn't work anymore. Also the 'normal' lcd-screen is a step back in comparison with the oled-screen in my former Bluefin Pro. Seems that the guys at L&M aren't quite interested anymore in making their housing-customers happy. (Although I sent in movies with the vignetting they even denied that it was possible!!) They are focussing on their lights... sadly also in this compartiment they are really doing no good. I had 2 Sola4000's ... nice lights but the charge-contacts always corroded so I needed to scrub the contacts before each charging and sometimes even put contuctive gel into the holes otherwise there was no contact between the pins and the corroded holes. Now at my last divetrip to Norway both Sola4000's flooded althought I did no deeper dives than 55m. And the lights should stand 100m according to L&M. Again all responsibility was denied as if I myself ever could be responsible for flooding my videolights (no, I really never tried to open them!). So now I'm looking for new videolights but no L&M ever again! Ok, you can have sometimes a bad product, but a bad service is something else. I hope this helps in chosing a housing.

Erix, your comments about L&M focusing more on their lights and less on their housings seems to be mirrored by my experience. I have used L&M housings and lights almost exclusively for the past 15 years. They continue to service my older Sola 1200s and newer Sola 2000s with great customer service. However, I've know had my third L&M housing (a Stingray G2+) orphaned due to lack of repair parts. It is only three years old yet they have not kept a stock supply of parts for the housing which is greatly disturbing.

By the way, I also had some vignetting problems with the Stingray G2+ and a Sony CX550V, but it generally only happened when I was panning.

Drbill...do you still have your bluefin pro for cx550? I'm looking to buy an OLED monitor as mine gave up. Pls let me know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom