Stingray G2 monitor back On switch not working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I assembled my Stingray G2 and Sony CX550V this morning for a planned dive to do a video transect of the invasive Sargassum horneri in our dive park.

When I affixed the monitor back, the LEDs did not come on. I pushed the red ON button several times and it wouldn't work. I soaked the rear of the housing in warm water twice and still it won't turn on.

The button had been a bit dodgy over the last two months, but I always got it to turn on and function before. Yesterday it did the same thing as this morning. I removed the inside cover plate over the electronics and could see nothing wrong. When I replaced it yesterday, it started up. I tried the same thing this morning without any luck.

Any thoughts?

---------- Post added November 25th, 2014 at 11:33 AM ----------

I inspected the two PCBs that comprise the electronics in the housing back and discovered that the "button" that the "plunger" on the ON-OFF switch strikes may be broken. Hope L&M has replacement parts!

Looks like there is a "good" chance L&M does NOT have the parts to repair this. I'm shocked. I bought this housing in 2011 and really don't understand why they haven't kept repair parts in stock even though they discontinued it later (largely because Sony changed their protocols shortly after... again). When I needed a new set of PCBs for my old Top Dawg several years ago they also did not have any in stock.

The PCB that I think has the faulty switch is the one indicated by the arrow. Any thoughts on who might have replacement parts?

Stingray G2+ PCB 8305m.jpg

I would think that the PCB is proprietary? At least the programming probably is.

What does this say?
Capture.jpg
Or are there any part #'s/mfr's name on it. On either side? Sometimes you can just google that and get lucky.

I'm not familiar with your housing so I assume the tan thing is the back? of the circuit board containing the switches?
Any good electronic tech could replace it on the board if you can find one.

Doesn't L&M know where they got it? They must have original sourcing/manufacturing documentation in their files for your model # housing even though it's no longer sold. From 3 years ago? What does the Bluefin use now?

Maybe you're not talking to the right people.

Just on an odd chance, call Sterling or Berkley at Backscatter - they might know. They're an L&M Dealer.
Or know someone at L&M that handled(s) that stuff - Backscatter is just across the street from L&M.
I believe they were the Top Dawg distributor at one point also so more than just a dealer.

Those guys probably go for drinks occasionally..lol.

L&M is not that big of a company so maybe get the owners name and ask to speak to him/her. (I think it's a him...)

Last edited:
Diversteve, you're right. I really should contact Backscatter too. I used to have contacts at both companies but somehow my e-mails from 2009 forward "disappeared" in my computer (strange). I will be writing a letter to the CEO of L&M to see if I get any response.

Does anyone know if the monitor backs from the older Stingray G2 series are the same as for the newer Bluefin models?

Thanks, diversteve. Based on the physical similarities that is what I was thinking. The monitor backs all look very similar (although the internal electronics may differ).

I may have a chance to test this as a mainland dive shop may have a housing coming in in trade that we can test.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 09:10 AM ----------

Potentially good news from L&M. I got an e-mail from the tech support manager there and was told that the tech I communicated with was just being very cautious about promising any repair on my Stingray G2 housing. I received an RMA and am sending it up to L&M to take a look at (once the blessed rain stops so our mail and UPS can go out via the airport... hurray for the rain!!!). I also ordered a new Stingray G2 from the only dealer I could find one at in the US so I'll have future backup if mine can be repaired.

Since this thread was revived, I thought I'd update it.

L&M was able to fix my old G2 housing and while it was in the shop I bought the last new G2 housing I could find on the Internet and a spare Sony CX550V camcorder so I'd have a spare set if one has to go back into the shop. My old backup camcorder and housing just didn't cut it anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom