Chemical glowsticks and flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
Obscure question of the day: anyone know whether the chemicals inside glowsticks are flammable, corrosive, poisonous or otherwise likely to cause problems on planes? Am I likely to get arrested if I have glowsticks in my dive bag?

Thanks for your help,

Zept

Zept, I haven't heard anything about glowsticks/cylumes with regard to air travel. However, a lot of dive destinations no longer allow them because of the littler problem: afterall, you use 'em once and they're garbage.

Have you thought about investing in some Personal Locator Lights (PLLs)? Most of them don't cost that much more than a cylume AND you get much more life out of them. The one or two AA or AAA batteries they have often last 20 dives or more.

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

I've had one poor, lonely glowstick in the bottom of my dive bag for about two years now. It has been on many flights without any problems. However, it was probably crushed a long time ago and is no longer functional (think I should throw it away?)

I agree with SubMariner - the locator lights are much better. They attach to your gear better, last longer, and don't create a major trash problem

From my recollection of packaging on officially used products of this nature there is nothing to cause concern about flying. However, the better option to these once-only glowsticks is the electoluminescent (and waterproof) multi-use sticks made by www.kriana.com

These work for many hours, with more light output - and from a standard battery - so no flying issues at all.

You can also order them from the on-line site.

Safe and Happy Diving

MN

Having used hundreds of these things in the Army ( I was in aviation) for markers, I don't think there is a problem. They were very picky about us having corosive materials around the aircraft.

One time in Honduras a bunch of people had a bit, a lot, too much to drink and decided to make a constellation inside of the little shacks we were staying in. It did look kinda cool until they quit glowing and the inside of the building had stains all over it. Everything that it touched got stained, but no damage other than that. I don't think anybody would even question them in your luggage.

Later, Hawk.

Originally posted by Zept
Obscure question of the day: anyone know whether the chemicals inside glowsticks are flammable, corrosive, poisonous or otherwise likely to cause problems on planes? Am I likely to get arrested if I have glowsticks in my dive bag?

Thanks for your help,

Zept
Shouldn't have a problem with flying them. However, get rid of them and use a reuable locating device. Those things are an environmental nightmare.

Darryl

I started out using glowsticks b/c I wasn't sure how much night diving I was going to do. Now that I've decided I enjoy it, I'm intending to upgrade to an electric marker light. I'd like to get an LED one (or something like the Kriana lights) that won't go through batteries too quickly, because dead batteries aren't great for the enviroment either.

In the meantime, I have three glowsticks to use up. I guess I could save them for emergencies and get a marker light now.

Thanks all,

Zept

Originally posted by Zept
. . . I'd like to get an LED one (or something like the Kriana lights) that won't go through batteries too quickly, because dead batteries aren't great for the enviroment either. . . .
Zept

Use rechargable batteries, and there's no problem . . .

I've been wanting to get a light as well. So what is the best one? LED, strobe, other? I want max visibility and max battery life. I know the two don't mix well.

Strobes are good for marking anchor or down lines at night or other entry spots. They are far too bright to be good PLLs...unless you hate your buddy & want to blind h/h. :wink:

The rest are pretty much personal preference: flashing vs non-flashing, coloured vs white... need I say more?

However there are usually reviews at places like Undercurrent or Rodales Gear Reviews about what PLLS are best for vis & value.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom