Frogman Led vs. Halcyon Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys im narrowing my 2 backup lights to these two. the halcyon scout or the Frogman led. ives seen the frogman and even used it at night its one strong light and even compares to some primary lights of other makers but only problem its only rated to 60m. the halcyon on the other hand is robust and proven but the light output looks a bit dissapointing. what would you pick?

also i heard that halcyon has the new scouts with xenon bulbs? also is the led upgrade worth it?

here a ling to the frogman-ledlenser http://www.zweibrueder.com/english/...lights/ledlenserfrogman/ledlenserfrogman.html

Never used the Frogman, but you are right. If it's only rated to 60 meters and you are planning on doing mix dives (as it seems you are) I think you answered your own question.

I would pass on the H LED. A really expensive upgrade and too dilute for signalling. Have not heard about the Xenon...The regular H Scout works fine for me, though the only times I've deployed it was before I got my primary (canister) or during GUE training.

As a backup at night, you will have at least one backup and almost any light shoudl get you back to the surface. For caving, you will have two. If you will be training GUE make sure the backup has a beam concentrated enough for signalling. That is what the Scout excels at. It's an effective pointer, not a floodlight.

If I were forced to replace my lights I might look at some of the Scout clones that have double O rings, though I have never had a leakeage problem...

JAG

jagfish:
Never used the Frogman, but you are right. If it's only rated to 60 meters and you are planning on doing mix dives (as it seems you are) I think you answered your own question.

I would pass on the H LED. A really expensive upgrade and too dilute for signalling. Have not heard about the Xenon...The regular H Scout works fine for me, though the only times I've deployed it was before I got my primary (canister) or during GUE training.

As a backup at night, you will have at least one backup and almost any light shoudl get you back to the surface. For caving, you will have two. If you will be training GUE make sure the backup has a beam concentrated enough for signalling. That is what the Scout excels at. It's an effective pointer, not a floodlight.

If I were forced to replace my lights I might look at some of the Scout clones that have double O rings, though I have never had a leakeage problem...

JAG

i just took the dir-f last week and passed:) anyway everyone was using 2 scouts as backups. i kinda like the ruggedness of the scouts but am not quite sure about the output. how bright are the scouts during the day underwater? will they work well pointing under crevaces? will they illuminate dark areas? im not quite ready yet. the frogman on the other hand is amazing it works well even as a primary at night. i may get one of each hehe.

Congrats on DIR-F

I have used the Scout for cracks and crevices in daytime. You can signal in the day with it if you are REALLY close.

I know what you mean about output. I have the Princeton Surge and it has great output and I have used it as a primary in earlier days at night. However, in the day, the beam on MY light is not concentrated enough for signalling.

The Scout has a really narrow purpose, I think. I have loaned it to others as a primary at night. But when they are next to me with my 18 watt Helios, no matter what they have is going to pale (except another 18 watt or greater light).

jagfish:
Congrats on DIR-F

I have used the Scout for cracks and crevices in daytime. You can signal in the day with it if you are REALLY close.

I know what you mean about output. I have the Princeton Surge and it has great output and I have used it as a primary in earlier days at night. However, in the day, the beam on MY light is not concentrated enough for signalling.

The Scout has a really narrow purpose, I think. I have loaned it to others as a primary at night. But when they are next to me with my 18 watt Helios, no matter what they have is going to pale (except another 18 watt or greater light).

i just invested in additional courses as well as my doubles setup and doubles wing so i cant really afford a canister light just yet. but man do i really want those helios 18 watt lights. everything else seems like crap:) im really trying to hit two birds with one stone. i want my 2 backups to be sufficient for now even for night dives, i dont need super illumination becasue there will likely be another member with hid lights.

but i want these backups to be just the right size that they will be my regular backups time come i get my Hids. how did your friends find the scouts as a primary at night.

The scout is Ok as a primary if you are not in a challenging environment, or one that you are familiar with. But it's not really the ideal light for that purpose IMHO.

I ve see the Photon torpedo and like it. If I were to do it over again I would get them but I have had ZERO problems w/ my Scouts (or any of muy friends Scouts) The reason I would get them is the price. Of course they werent out when I got my b/u lights, and now they are always out of stock.

If you cant get a primary (canister) just yet, I would recomend you NOT use the Scouts as primary for 2 reasons 1, Its not THAT bright and 2 It will take hours off the bulb life (remember it will be a back up once again).

Buy an SL6 or something similar, even when you get a canister you'll always have a need for light like that and its only like 30$

do you guys know of any nice multi led lights for backup?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom