Looking into buying a HID light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIMI Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about purchasing a HID light. I am not into tech diving yet but I do some relatively deep wreck diving (100 to 120 fsw). Any advise?

Thanks

Sean

There are a number of nice choices out there from:

Dive Rite
Halcyon
Barry Miller (Salvo Diving)
Sartek
... and others.

Most people seem to start with the 10w fixed head units. And later move up to the 18/21watt adjustable beam units depending on needs and pocket depth. :)

The canister size and battery type will configure how much burn time you have (as well as light wattage) so select something that will have as much time as you need before you have to recharge. Chances are if you are wreck diving, you won't need the light for more than 2-4 hours so nearly any of the 10w lights should meet your needs.

Best of luck, and I am sure you'll be getting more advice on this. Seems to be a favorite topic for many! :)

:14: Check out Diver Supply Sea Elite 10w HID. It looks just like the Helios. It looks very well built. I have a Dive Rite 10w focusable and if I would have seen this one first....
Dive Safe, Dive Often, Butch :scubadive

And if you might be interested in a Hand Held... I've got coming - some 21 watt rechargable hand held that are about the size of a 4 D cell light - over 2 hours burn time - and they'll be about $299... Pretty cool for hand held.

scubatoys:
And if you might be interested in a Hand Held... I've got coming - some 21 watt rechargable hand held that are about the size of a 4 D cell light - over 2 hours burn time - and they'll be about $299... Pretty cool for hand held.
Ooh.

Who makes those?

scubatoys:

So where's the catch?.... or is this something that will turn the HID market on it's head?

It's one of the cool things I found at Dema. It's the company overseas that produces the components for a lot of the manufacturers, and they have no distribution in the US. I've contracted to bring in hundreds of them direct from the manufacturer. It utilizes a Sony battery - great quality battery, and the HID bulb they are using is very impressive. They took it out of the housing... banged it on the table... hard! 10 times, popped it back in the light and it fired right up.

I was blown away and contracted to distribute them on the spot.

How would you rate it against the UK light Cannon?

How is the focusing? Is it a big wide flood like the Light Cannon?

Back
Top Bottom