what is a good compact HID or LED light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alberta

Registered
Reaction score
I love night diving and am returning to bonaire for 3 weeks this this xmas.
I have a dive rite 10 W HID. Sometimes it is a bit too much cause it is a flood light and just lights the whole reef.

My 1st night dive was in coz and was so cool. We had 2 crappy little rentals that just lit up 5 feet in front of us. Bit more exciting I guess. More like exploring the reef.

Since the LED bulbs are more durable they could double as an all around flashlite right?
Something we would not do with a compact HID cause they break easy.

any feedback is welcome, thanks.

Check out the Princeton Tech Shockwave LED. It's one of the few that rivals halogen lanterns in brightness, and it's only a tad over $100.

At one point I considered the C4 eLed rigged to work with 8 AA's. There was a thread about it. The point was that it would be lighter and more compact, yet just as bright as the C8 eled. Burn time over 2 hours (maybe 3-4) and rechargeable AA's and chargers are cheap. I don't know why the manufacturer doesn't just make it with 8 AA's to begin with. Cost from scubatoys with SB discount would be around $58.

I would definitely go with the Princeton Tec. I have several of their lights and am very pleased. They also come with a lifetime warranty that even covers flooding. They will usually replace a light if it fails (for free). Remember though, the LED will be no where near as bright as the HID. The LED is sort of a white/blue color that does not penetrate as far.

alberta:
I love night diving and am returning to bonaire for 3 weeks this this xmas.
I have a dive rite 10 W HID. Sometimes it is a bit too much cause it is a flood light and just lights the whole reef.

My 1st night dive was in coz and was so cool. We had 2 crappy little rentals that just lit up 5 feet in front of us. Bit more exciting I guess. More like exploring the reef.

Since the LED bulbs are more durable they could double as an all around flashlite right?
Something we would not do with a compact HID cause they break easy.

any feedback is welcome, thanks.

Look at the Diamond back up light from Green Force (www.mantaindustries.con) it's a 3 watt LED that is VERY bright and compact. It has a burn time of 6 hours and is $125.00

Thanks - Greg

ScubaMike14:
I would definitely go with the Princeton Tec. I have several of their lights and am very pleased. They also come with a lifetime warranty that even covers flooding. They will usually replace a light if it fails (for free). Remember though, the LED will be no where near as bright as the HID. The LED is sort of a white/blue color that does not penetrate as far.

Mike,
Have you had experience with the PT Shockwave LED? (3 x 3watt) - considering this light, but was wondering about output. Sure, it's bright if you stare at it, but I was worried about penetration.

Jim

Sorry, no experience with it. The regular Shockwave (not the mini or LED) is a VERY bright light, I have had mine since 99' and love it. The Mini Wave is also a nice light, but battery life is not as long since it's only half the size of the Shockwave.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom