How do you carry your light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaoly

Reaction score
I am a newer diver that just purchased all of my gear. I purchased the UK Light Cannon and was wondering how does everybody carry there lights. It has a wrist strap with it, but do you put it on a retractor or something else? Just looking for some ideas. Thanks

I personally use a pistol grip, uk has as an option, as well as a retractor, this allows you the freedom of moving the light as needed and in case you have to let go, the retractor will assist , so it won`t drop....uk also makes a mini Q40 ,which attaches to the strap on your mask, good for photography, as it allows the light to go in the direction you are looking , hands free,.....also a back up light try Underwater Kenetics SL4 Sunlight, as it is small and can attach to several locations on you BCD, using either retractors or simple coil ring clips, small enought to fit in most pockets...have fun ,be safe.....

I run a coiled lanyard to my upper D ring for now .

My Tec400 is in my pocket ntil I want it then the lanyard is sinched to my wrist.

My PT Shockwave LED is clipped to a D-ring until I need it and then gets cinched to the wrist.

A retractor for a light cannon? What do you use? It sounds like a Briggs and Stratton recoil assembly.

Whatever you settle on you want to make sure your not draging along the bottom to avoid damaging the light or getting yourself fouled.

Pete

I generally do not attach anything to my wrists, I clip my Light Cannon off to my BC with a 1ft line and hold the pistol grip while I night dive of if I am going deep where it may be light limited. If for some reason I drop my light it can be retrieved simply by grabing the line. This also is a way to keep your hands free in case you need to use them both for some reason. Just let go of the light do what you need to do then retrieve.

Scubar:
I generally do not attach anything to my wrists, I clip my Light Cannon off to my BC with a 1ft line and hold the pistol grip while I night dive of if I am going deep where it may be light limited. If for some reason I drop my light it can be retrieved simply by grabing the line. This also is a way to keep your hands free in case you need to use them both for some reason. Just let go of the light do what you need to do then retrieve.

I may try that next time. I don't like the way the presence of the liight on my wrist impairs fionding my rear dump valve.

Pete

coiled lanyard clipped to an upper d-ring is the way to go oly. you'll find that most experienced divers like to anchor something that size or expensive to their body. keeps it just high enough to avoid being dragged, and bashed around...and keeps your hands free when necessary.

BTW us folks here on the left coast...NEED big lights. congrats to those in other areas who are blessed with wonderful natural ambient light, or gifted with some genetic trait similar to some animals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom