Need bright LED backup light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sidwise

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Currently, my backup lights are Ikelite PCLites. They're 4 C cell incandescent lights, reasonably bright, nice small form factor.

For the reliability and long burn time, I'd like to replace them with LED lights. My requirements (aka, wish list) are:
- at least as bright as the PCLite
- 2 - 4 C batteries (longer burn time then AAs)
- must work with rechargable NiMH batteries, rather than alkaline.
- small form factor. Should fit comfortably in a BC pocket, or clip to my harness.
- cost under $50 USD apiece

In the past year, we've seen a plethora of LED lights. So far, the ones I've looked at are either dim, an unwieldy shape, use AA batteries, or are expenseive as heck.

Anyone know of suitable lights?

You are probaly going to have to double your anty to get the specs you want. I have Photon Torpedo's(ordered without batteries or bulbs) with MAL LED inserts. 3 c-cell lights at about $120.00 each. The "quality feel" is there and the light is superb. I just ordered a Heser which is supposed to be the best one of all. I'll let you know how it works when I get it. It's in the $180.00 range and have only been able to find it in Europe.
Bill

Underwater Kinetics should be introducing this year (hopefully early in the year) the SL4 in an LED version. Essentially the same form factor as the 4 C cell light you are using now. How bright will it be? That is still unknown. I would expect that the measured light output will be lower than the incandescent bulb, but the difference in color temperature will make the light appear as bright or brighter to the naked eye. Run times may be a little longer, but I would not expect that the light will have really spectacular run times like LED's are capable of because I expect that the choices will skew toward bright light output rather than long burn times.

Mark Vlahos

There are down sides to using re-chargables on a backup light.

1) Self discharge.
You must remember to recharge your backup. You can't just leave it in your bcd and check it at the start of each dive.

2) No dimming before failure.
Alkeline batteries fade out, NiMh tend to work fine up until they are almost dead, then die. If I was on my backup light, I'd kinda like an indication that it was running out, rather than have it just die on me.

Yes, I appreciate that when your main light dies, you call the dive, but say you are 10 minutes swim from shore on a night dive. Having your backup gradually die out might be a lot better than suddenly being in the dark.

All things being equal, with fully charged NiMh cells, and calling a dive when your primary dies unexpectedly, then everything is fine. But in life, it's often when two things go wrong at the same time, that things go nasty. Oh, I forgot to charge the backup, and bang my primary has blown a bulb. Backup seems fine, lets head back. Hey, why's it dark all of a sudden ?

For the same reason I would get an unregulated led as a backup. You don't really want constant light right up to no light, you want graceful degradation.

Just some thoughts.

Mind you, if you have a backup, then you're streets ahead of some folk.eyebrow

Thanks for raising those issues. I understand and share those concerns. Here's how I address them.

I carry 2 backups, just in case one dies. I often dive with 2 primaries, too, so I don't have to call the dive if "the" primary dies; in that case, I switch to the backup primary.

And I usually start the dives with my NiMH batteries fully charged. The exception is when I'm cave diving or doing planned deco dives. In those cases, my backup lights are loaded with alkaline batteries.

I just bought new backup lights (before christmas).
I tried to go the cheap route first but managed to break the lights after a few dives(princeton tecs)...the plastic body actually gave up on two lights after 5 dives(!)

After that experience I re-evaluated and decided to get two backups that stand a good chance of lasting the rest of my diving life.

I ended up buying these lights @ 95 $/light

http://www.dyk-brand.se/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13742

Expensive? Sure!
Great lights? You bet!
Solid delrin, double o-rings and lights that feel as if they were built to last!

I wreckdive and thinking about how much having a functional backuplight is worth to me if my primary gives up on a deep wreckdive made my choice easy....

get the frogman ledlensers. just google. them they run though on 4 aa batts. but man they are strong for their size. same size as a mini scout but 10 times stronger. will be testing it on some wrecks this weekend. will have updates soon

Take a look at our LED diamond back up. It has a 6 hour burn time on 3 lithium batteries and a 10 year shelf live. It is extremely bright. It is a bit more than you are looking to spend, $123.00 but it will last a life time. Triple O-rings and rated to 900 ft.

www.mantaindustries.com

Manta:
Take a look at our LED diamond back up. It has a 6 hour burn time on 3 lithium batteries and a 10 year shelf live. It is extremely bright. It is a bit more than you are looking to spend, $123.00 but it will last a life time. Triple O-rings and rated to 900 ft.

www.mantaindustries.com
How about the sidekick lights . Im not really into the lith batteries and am looking for something better than my sabrelite . Pretty much the main one on my list is the H scout

Hi guys,

I have been contact with Tim from Nocturnal lights and he was kind enough to provide some picts of the power of the new LED light the SLX. The light looks awesome and it was meant as a primary not a secondary light so it's plenty bright sidwise you could contact tim and I think you will be satisfied with his lights.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom