Need some Can HID advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy a can HID over the next few days. From searching this forum, appears the general consensus is to go ahead and get a 21W vs 10W (either w/ an adj. head) if the price isn't an issue. So far I have narrowed it down to a Diverite or Salvo.

Now here's my dilemma... I'm getting this primarily for the technical diving I've been doing lately which has been mainly in clear waters around Asia but also for the local diving I do here in HK where waters can get pretty murky. Maybe wrecks loom in the near future but caves doubtful (or so I say now...). But here's the other twist... in addition, I want to be able to use this HID for night UW photography (not as a replacement for an external strobe but just as a primary nitedive light). For nite photography, is 21W even with a video reflector/diffuser going to be overkill in fairly clear waters? Would like to hear feedback from any users who use a can HID with their still camera systems. For closeup shots at night, do you turn off your HID and switch to a focus light or just point the HID away, etc... Is it good for a HID to be toggling it on and off frequently during a dive? Also, do you set your HID head on a dedicated housing arm?

21 w HID overkill for photo? Naaaah... Don't think so! I use a 100w Xenophot bulb and a videoreflector in my halogen light, and with such it's quite as strong light as any HID 21 w. But you need either a diffusor or a videoreflector, or else you'll just have a burn out in the middle of the picture, and nothing around it.

Right, 21W HID is not too strong. You have to use a flood reflector with your light to take photos and then it is still too weak to take photos (except close up). To take photos a 35W or even a 50W HID is better than a 21W HID light. To switch them frequently on and off is not good. That will strongly decrease the bulbs lifetime.

Greetings, MIchael

kompressor and michael, thanks guys for the feedback. Yes the plan would be for me to get one of the videoreflectors for the HID. Reason I had asked is I once had a dive buddy on a nite dive who had I believe a 21W HID cannister light and shined that on a subject I was trying to shoot with my camera and it totally washed out the photo (like kompressor described when not using a videoreflectors)! I had to shoo him away!

pakman:
I'm looking to buy a can HID over the next few days. From searching this forum, appears the general consensus is to go ahead and get a 21W vs 10W (either w/ an adj. head) if the price isn't an issue. So far I have narrowed it down to a Diverite or Salvo.

Now here's my dilemma... I'm getting this primarily for the technical diving I've been doing lately which has been mainly in clear waters around Asia but also for the local diving I do here in HK where waters can get pretty murky. Maybe wrecks loom in the near future but caves doubtful (or so I say now...). But here's the other twist... in addition, I want to be able to use this HID for night UW photography (not as a replacement for an external strobe but just as a primary nitedive light). For nite photography, is 21W even with a video reflector/diffuser going to be overkill in fairly clear waters? Would like to hear feedback from any users who use a can HID with their still camera systems. For closeup shots at night, do you turn off your HID and switch to a focus light or just point the HID away, etc... Is it good for a HID to be toggling it on and off frequently during a dive? Also, do you set your HID head on a dedicated housing arm?

I currently own an 18W Salvo ... dive primarily in murky water ... and will state that this light is, hands down, the best HID light I've ever owned.

For comparison purposes, I also currently own a NiteRider 10W HID (which I love for warm-water applications), and a 10W Terkel HID (my "backup" can light). I have also owned a Halcyon 18W Helios 9 which I later converted to a 21W.

I prefer the 18W over the 21W because of the color difference ... the 21W is a "warmer" color, which does not penetrate murk the way the "bluer" 18W light does. In fact, a friend just recently purchased a new Helios 9 18W and when we did a dive together told me he wishes he'd have purchased the Salvo.

When I take pictures, I do not use my HID light at all ... although on night dives I will position it so that the "halo" provides just enough light that I can see the subject in the viewfinder.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with Bob, 100%. I don't just say this because I'm a Salvo dealer, I say this because most of my dive buddies have Salvo 18w. 18w and 10w are the biggest sellers. I have been using my well abused Sartek 10w without any complaints, but now that the light head is flooding I will be due for my own upgrade :D

A few of the guys have purchase 21w, they are very bright. Divers who own them love them, but a few buddies complain that it overpowers their 10w lights when they buddy with someone using a 21/24w and they are in close proximity to each other.

Not to give you a sale pitch, but Salvo light warranty includes 1yr coverage on the battery and the bulb. PM me if there is something you are interested in. I might be able to give you a SB break.

NWGratefulDiver:
When I take pictures, I do not use my HID light at all ... although on night dives I will position it so that the "halo" provides just enough light that I can see the subject in the viewfinder.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, interesting... But the 21W comparison was a Halcyon 21W right? Do they use the same 21W bulb as Barry's? Good advice on the positioning of the "halo"... might try that first before forking out $100 for a proper videoreflector...

double80's, pm on the way...

pakman:
Bob, interesting... But the 21W comparison was a Halcyon 21W right? Do they use the same 21W bulb as Barry's? Good advice on the positioning of the "halo"... might try that first before forking out $100 for a proper videoreflector...
I honestly don't know what 21W bulb Halcyon uses ... when I converted my Helios, I went with a Britestar bulb because I found the Welch-Allyn bulbs to be too fragile (and expensive to replace).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pakman:

Halcyon does not make a "21W" light...

Barry uses the same Brightstar bulb for his 18, 21 and 24W lights - the difference is in the ballast.

Vie:
Halcyon does not make a "21W" light...

Barry uses the same Brightstar bulb for his 18, 21 and 24W lights - the difference is in the ballast.
Actually, the 21W bulb he put in my Helios was different than the 18W bulb in my current Salvo light.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom