HID can mounted to BC ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A diver friend of mine is loaning another diver friend of mine his HID can light for some dives we're going to make this weekend. The diver borrowing the light dives with a jacket BC. The light is a 10w Halcyon with the big old canister, setup for mounting on the standard BP harness strap.

The question is, where in the world should my BC donning friend mount the can? He can't do it on his weight-belt, 'causes he uses the built-in, soft-weight deal where the weights wrap around to the back (which the jacket goes over anyway). There's no belt on the BC. I'm thinking maybe on the tank band, and see if the cord reaches, but then he won't be able to reach the switch.

Suggestion for my poodle-clad friend?

Rick, when I started talking about buying a can light, I was still using a BC, and I asked a lot of people this question. The only good answer I got was to mount the canister on the cambands. That played a large part in why I bought the NiteRider light, because it WOULD fit on the waistband of my BC.

or put it on the tank and have a had signal for turing on and killin the light when hes ready. if its for a short time that its fine but if hes buying it than make some thing up.

Rick,

With the older larger cannister, (about the diameter of a Luxfer 19 or LP 14 tank) the best arrangement I've seen was mounting it onto the tank using a Pony Tamer. If you HAVE to remove it mid-dive, you can. (Gill Nets) Have the buddy turn it on after entering the water. Have the buddy turn it off just before exiting. Not a big deal.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Rick,

With the older larger cannister, (about the diameter of a Luxfer 19 or LP 14 tank) the best arrangement I've seen was mounting it onto the tank using a Pony Tamer. If you HAVE to remove it mid-dive, you can. (Gill Nets) Have the buddy turn it on after entering the water. Have the buddy turn it off just before exiting. Not a big deal.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc
Hey, that's right! I've got one of those stupid insta-pony-mounts (paid $100.00!) sitting in a drawer. Good idea.

This is temporary. This guy's BP/W has been ordered, so the BC will soon be a thing of the past. He'll do 8 dives with the BC and light with me this Sat-Mon, and then that's it.

Rick Inman:
I've got one of those stupid insta-pony-mounts (paid $100.00!) sitting in a drawer...
Heh, so have I... But using it lets you move the can light from tank to tank real quick and easy, plus gives you the option to remove it mid-dive to unscrew fouling, etc. Glad your buddy will only be strokified on a temporary basis! :D

Have fun diving....

Rick, sounds like you're being successful in spreading the light (or the dark :) ) in the Spokane area!

Ben_ca:
How about just rigging an old weight belt.... Either to the tank or on his waist?

I bring along a buddy light (my second HID) and I just bring a weight belt. Works perfect for all manner of BC.

K

Back
Top Bottom