New divelight... which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simpsons

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

As my current divetorch is beginning to die (flooding, changing the chord etc) I'm looking for a new torch as my primary light underwater. I've been looking at either a Kowalski 1250 Classic or Speed, a UK Light Cannon 100, UK eLED C8 and FAMI PowerLED 40 and 50.

I gave the two UK's a test (in the shop) but I didn't really see them as a good torches, the eLED seemed a little underpowered and the LC100 I think is a bit too pricey for my liking (as I would also want to buy the rechargable batterypack). I haven't seen the Kowalski in action yet but I hear a lot of good stuff about them. The FAMI lights gets me very interested but I haven't heard so much about them... Are they as good as the specs (do they actually give as much light as either 40 or 50W halogens?)

My usage is dives to 30-40 meters with very varying visibility (1-20 meters), so a rather focused beam is essential. The torch should go at least 80 minutes (2 dives) between recharging or battery replacement. I prefer a beam with no more than 15 degrees spread. My current torch is 35W halogen at 12degrees and it does the job OK.

My budget is currently about 350-400 USD (in Europe/Denmark!) and the Kowalski and FAMI seems to be within reach with this budget.

Soo... what to do? :)

Thomas

How about links to the Kowalski?

PS, check out Manta Lights, Dive Rite Lights, Nocturnal Lights etc, etc. All are great and some are rather innovative.

oh... yeah maybe that was a good thing :)
Some info on kowalski: http://www.lighthousediving.co.uk/dtorch.htm (think that they are a german based company but guess that linking to a german page wont help that much)

I've been looking at Nocturnal Lights, but I don't see them having any dealers here in Europe which is kinda necessary as it will get too expensive with taxes if shipped from the us.

Hi micbu

That looks very interesting... I'll see if I can find a dealer somewhere :)

Well,

I do sell them in Germany :)
www.hid-tec.de but in the shop I do only advertise the new models with bigger batteries and new inside arrangement.

Greetings, Michael

OK :) I'm thinking seriously about buying the 21W version, it says (I think, my german rather rusty) that it is a focused beam, but how focused is it?

Is there any big advantages between the 'old' one with 4.4Ah batterypack and the new one with a 5.2Ah pack? The extra power is of course nice to have, but as I usually only spend about 80-90 minutes in the water per day (and then have access to power) I'm not sure that the extra power is of so much use.

What about warrenty and so on?

Hi,

the inside arrangement has changed a bit, that is all. I do also have old versions for a better price, just write a private mail.

Greetings, Michael

Hi,
You can consider UK Led C4 or C8.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom