UK Q40 eLED PLUS Light (scuba toys?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prodjbm

Reaction score
Is this a decent light? I like the idea that it's small enough to keep in your BCD so it's always handy. Does scuba toys carry this one? I don't see the PLUS listed on the website.

Thanks,
Bill

prodjbm:
Is this a decent light? I like the idea that it's small enough to keep in your BCD so it's always handy. Does scuba toys carry this one? I don't see the PLUS listed on the website.

Thanks,
Bill

We have one of the regular (non LED) Q 40's and they're really only good for strapping to your mask as an aux to your primary on a night dive; they don't really put out a lot of light. If you want something that gives you a decent amount of light as a TRUE backup & still fits in your BCD pocket I'd go with an SL4.

prodjbm:

Thanks,
Bill

I had the regular eLED before and that was a great mask light. Very helpful during night dives for photography and convenient because I could just look at my gauges and the light would illuminate them. Since I liked it I sold it and switched to the Plus version when it came out. I haven't tried it underwater yet, but it's more powerful and looks brighter the the regular eLED. It's enough to get you back to the surface if your main light fails. I also carry the Ikelite PCa as a backup and daytime light and that's both small and enough for a main night dive light, though it of course doesn't compare with the big boys.

You should PM larry to ask if he carries them. If not, you can check out leisurepro.

I have three Q40 eLED from Larry.... I like it a lot because it is so convenient for the night dive and even for the surface. You can attach it on the mask. It gives the freedom to read your gauge and write slate and wet note without any hand lights.

One downside is you need to be careful to see your buddy. But, it isn't a big deal after figuring out how to handle..

I just bought one from scuba.com for $25. It shipped yesterday. Make sure you get the '06 model as it is now 2 watts instead of 1. According the scuba.com, theirs is the new model.

For those who've used theirs: Is it adequate as a backup on night dives to your main light, or is really just a small third light you always carry in your BC? I'm planning on getting the UK c8 eLED as my primary, but I'm not sure if I need another backup or if the Q40 would do the trick.

Divin'Hoosier:
For those who've used theirs: Is it adequate as a backup on night dives to your main light, or is really just a small third light you always carry in your BC?

In the clear open waters of the Philippines it was enough for a backup. You can get around using it at night and you can make it to the surface, but you'll miss a lot of the sealife if that's all you have left.

It's best as a mask light in addition to your main light and backup imo.

Divin'Hoosier:
I just bought one from scuba.com for $25. It shipped yesterday. Make sure you get the '06 model as it is now 2 watts instead of 1. According the scuba.com, theirs is the new model.

For those who've used theirs: Is it adequate as a backup on night dives to your main light, or is really just a small third light you always carry in your BC? I'm planning on getting the UK c8 eLED as my primary, but I'm not sure if I need another backup or if the Q40 would do the trick.

As others have said (and I agree) the light is a great "spotter light" when put on your mask for photography, gauges, etc., but the field of illumination is too small to be useful as a backup light.

Thus, while I agree on the use of the C8 as a primary, I would recommend something like the SL4 as a true, fit-in-your-BC-pocket backup.

SubMariner:
As others have said (and I agree) the light is a great "spotter light" when put on your mask for photography, gauges, etc., but the field of illumination is too small to be useful as a backup light.

Thus, while I agree on the use of the C8 as a primary, I would recommend something like the SL4 as a true, fit-in-your-BC-pocket backup.

Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I was planning. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't money wasted to buy all three lights.

Yes, Scubatoys does carry the eLED+ version.
I bought one and took it on a trip to Bonaire about a month ago.
Plus version is WAY brighter than the older model.
I also had a 8 D cell UK 1200 light.
It was my first ocean experience and first time to night dive.
After the first night dive, I left the UK 1200 behind and used the eLED+
as my main dive light for the rest of my night dives. The UK 1200 was just
way more light than I needed. I opted for the smaller size and lower weight.
It worked fantastic. Underwater it is not quite as bright as the ikeLite PCa
but pretty close. It has a slightly blue-er tone compared to the more yellow
tone of the PCa. My wife loves her PCa but I prefer the eLED+ because its
nearly as bright, uses less batteries, and WAY outlasts it.
After about 2.5 hours her light faded way down to much dimmer than the
eLED+ and mine was still going strong after 4+ hours.

I love it.

--- bill

I took a look at UK's website to get more information and found the following:

Burn Time: 5-6 hours (operates at a much reduced light level for hours after the initial 5-6 hours of high brightness

Can anyone here tell me what that means? Does it mean you get the 5-6 hours of 2+watts on each set of brand new batteries? Or does it mean that after 5-6 hours of total use the LED will lower its output despite having new batteries?

I looked at the specs for the other Q-40's and each page said something similar!

I have two Q-40's -- "regular" and 1 watt -- and I would be interested in upgrading the Xenon one to the LED+ -- depending on price and what the mean regarding "Burn Time" length.

Thanks for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom