Newbie with a light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown23

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a dive light to use on dives in the carribean and other warm water locations. Pretty much all clear water and wreck diving (not technical). Here's what I'm looking. I'd appreciate your thoughts and reason why not toget or get one.

Princeton Tec Shockwave II
7.5 - 15 Watts / 100 - 205 Lumens
1 Dual-Filament Xenon Bulb (focused wide beam)
Burn time 4-10hrs

Princeton Tec Shockwave Rechargeable
12 - 20 Watts / 205 - 389 Lumens
1 Halogen Bulb (focused wide Beam)
Burn time 1-3 hours

Greenforce Flexi funstar
3 watt LED/ No lumen listed/ 8 AA alkaline
8-16 hour burn time

Shockwave LED
9 Watts / 170 Lumens
3 Max Bright 3 Watt LEDs
Burn time 12-20 hours
8 C alkaline

I'm leaning toward the Halogen one because I think it will provide more light and cut through any bad viz. But the LEDs are attractive because of the longer burn time. I don't need more thatn 1-4 hours hours.

What's the pecking order for light bulbs? I know HID is top of the heap, but what's next? Halogen or Xenon

Thanks

I could tell you what I would get but that would not help you.

Things to think about... Batteries get expensive over time. All other things being equal, pick a light that either uses rechargables or uses fewer disposable batteries. Compare the price of 8 C-cell batteries with the cost of 8 AA batteries and then think about a light that only uses 4 of the batteries instead of 8, while you may give away a little burn time and intensity you may find that the cost savings are worth it.

I was initially quite skeptical about the LED's but now I am convinced. I think they are better choices for dive lights. The generally higher color temperatures make them seem brighter than raw numbers on a chart would indicate. They usually have longer burn times, saving you battery money. The LED's are far less fragile than any incandescent light source.

I have not seen any of the lights you listed in actual underwater use, but I have seen the Underwater Kinetics C4 eLED and I think that it, or a similar size and performance light from another company, would make and excellent choice.

Mark Vlahos

Mark: How powerful of an LED, though? 3 watts seems like way too little for a primary light.
I've also read that LEDs don't go very far in the water.

I'm actually torn between the Shockwave R and the Shockwave LED. I did look at the UK C4 and C8 (with the upgraded 20 watt bulb) and I again have the same question about the beam strength between those and the LED version.

I'm happy with our SHOCKWAVE LEDs. I've been in the water with another diver with a HID (duno the specs) and didn't feel blown away though I'm sure it prouced more illumination, it just wasn't night and day.

The 8 Cs in the Shockwave LED have a nice long burn time especially if you spend some time on low power which is not that much less light than full. Unless you plan to dive heavilly with this light as opposed to a smaller day light to peek under things battery $$ is a non issue.

I like to have dive accesories that will not make me cry if they get away from me. Adding the rechargable feature pushes it past my point of confort. Just my way of looking at it. Handled right It should never get away but things can happen.

Pete

diverdown23:
Mark: How powerful of an LED, though? 3 watts seems like way too little for a primary light.

I'm actually torn between the Shockwave R and the Shockwave LED. I did look at the UK C4 and C8 (with the upgraded 20 watt bulb) and I again have the same question about the beam strength between those and the LED version.

Here is the info LINK.

Remember, for recreational dives, you will be using the light on daytime dives on things that are close to you. Adequate intensity is necessary, but you don't need a 21 watt HID! If you use it on night dives almost any primary light is fine and this one fits the bill nicely.

Mark Vlahos

diverdown23:

Be sure to look at the light output specs for each model on the PT & UK websites. This can be answered with objective data. Lumens are lumens

http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?use=2

Pete

spectrum:
Be sure to look at the light output specs for each model on the PT & UK websites. This can be answered with objective data. Lumens are lumens

http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?use=2

Pete

So is it safe to say that a 300 lumen xenon or halogen will be just as bright as a 300 lumen LED?

I think the OP also wanted to know which bulb will penetrate better. As I understand it, a Halogen will penetrate through murk or bad viz way better than the LED. But how does that compare with a xenon?

The LEDs are also a much whiter light than the Halogen and the Xenon right?

You are correct. I have heard that the LED are more sensitive to backscatter for instance, this was mentioned here anecdotaly. I'm not enough of a light junkie to get into whiteness, color temperature and all that cool stuff.

Pete

Is a Xenon bulb whiter than a Halogen or the same? Which one will cut through lower viz better?

I was also looking at the Sunlight C8 but I can't find a lumen rating anywhere. I like the 20 watt upgrade feature.

The UK C8 is bright enough for me to use as my primary in murky waters. Though the Princeton Shockwave LED is super cool and i'm upgrading to that. For diving clear tropical waters the PT Shockwave will be more than enough light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom