battery question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can someone explain to me the advantages/disadvantages of Li-Ion over NiMH? Thanks

A

AaronR103:
Can someone explain to me the advantages/disadvantages of Li-Ion over NiMH? Thanks

A

i asked the same question awhile back. for what its worth after chatting with barry i took the plunge and got the 4.8 amp li-ion. its a sweet lilttle toy that packs a punch. i can also charge it anytime without memory effect on batteries.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=127483

So if I'm reading the previous thread corrctly, neither NiMH or Li-Ion suffer from the memory effect, Li-Ion gets more burn time out of a smaller battery, but loses 20% of it's capacity each year regardless of use.

Is the smaller size of the Li-Ion (2.5" difference in canaster length) worth both the extra money and the shorter life span?

A

AaronR103:
So if I'm reading the previous thread corrctly, neither NiMH or Li-Ion suffer from the memory effect, Li-Ion gets more burn time out of a smaller battery, but loses 20% of it's capacity each year regardless of use.

Is the smaller size of the Li-Ion (2.5" difference in canaster length) worth both the extra money and the shorter life span?

A

the smaller size is worth the change. i was also worried about the capacity issues of the battery over time but barry assured me that if well maintained the battery would still hold 80+% of its capacity after about 300 cycles. in about 3 or 4 years li-ion batteries will be so cheap i wouldnt mind getting another set. Li-ions are the future. people had the same problem shifting to nimh technology when lead acid was the norm.

PaulChristenson:
Spoon you really change your cell phone that often????...:D

i used to change em twice a year. my dad is a techno/gadget freak and he always has to get the latest cell phones. that being said, i get hand me down cellphones which are still pretty new and at least 4 months old.

AaronR103:

A

Li-Ion

Pros: Much greater energy density (watt hours per unit volume) and much greater specific energy (watt hours per unit weight) Chargers can be simple devices. Series / Parallel pack design is easy accomplished

Cons: Higher cost per watthour. Requires "safety circuit" in the pack to prevent over discharge and over charge. Can be a problem to transport depending on capacity, may not be permitted on passenger planes. More rapid loss of capacity over time than some other chemistries.

NiMh

Pros: Enviro freindly, compared to Ni-Cads. Less expensive per watthour than Li-Ion.

Cons: Fussy to charge correctly, should not be used in a series / parallel configuration (although this routinely done in dive lights) Will suffer shortened life used in series / parallel config. Is likely to be made obsolete my Li-Ion (show me a Nimh powered laptop for sale today)

BTW "Memory" is a myth, even in Ni-Cads. I view with suspicion anybody promoting any battery as "memory free"

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
BTW "Memory" is a myth, even in Ni-Cads. I view with suspicion anybody promoting any battery as "memory free"

Tobin

hi tobin, so you are saying that all batteries have some memory effect? please clarify your suspicions please im quite curious. thanks

Spoon:
hi tobin, so you are saying that all batteries have some memory effect? please clarify your suspicions please im quite curious. thanks

Sorry. I was bit unclear. The dreaded "memory effect in Ni-Cads is effectively a myth. The conditions required to induce true memory are almost impossible to produce in the field.

This hasn't kept people promoting other chemistries from claiming their favored battery was "memory free". While technically true, is misinformation all the same. When I see people engaged in this type of misinformation it calls into question their motives.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom