Hid care tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys i just got my 21w 4.8 li-ion salvo hids. props to Jagfish for handcarrying it for me to puerto gallera. awesome little light, had the pleasure of diving it with thepurpulehammerhead and pakman who also sported their salvo 21w's. simply awesome! now im jsut wondering if you guys have any links or maintenance care tips such as storing/charging my new baby as it did not come with instructions. since this is my most expensive gear purchase to date im a bit paranoid as im a long way from servicing and spare parts. thanks in advance

Take care of the sealing faces.. where the o ring rests on the can and the lid. If you nick/gauge this it will ruin the seal.

Keep the o ring in the can when not in use... the way I do it is batt unplugged and o ring on top. oh and i have a coozz protecting the light head
When I get to the site and start gearing up I take the lid off, clean off the O ring (my technique is to run it thru my lips), set in lid, then plug in batt wires.

Close the latches and look thru the lid and inspect the seal.. then double check to make sure the light isn't on underneath the coozy.

Ben_ca:
Keep the o ring in the can when not in use... the way I do it is batt unplugged and o ring on top. oh and i have a coozz protecting the light head
When I get to the site and start gearing up I take the lid off, clean off the O ring (my technique is to run it thru my lips), set in lid, then plug in batt wires.

do you latch the lid while in storage? i was even thinking of taking the o ring out of the lid while its stored.

Spoon:
do you latch the lid while in storage? i was even thinking of taking the o ring out of the lid while its stored.

Lid latched... o ring inside empty cannister... battery on charger

I don't know about the Li-oins.... dry and cool usually works... depends if there's airconditioning in the house I guess

At home (kids) and during travel (rough handling by luggage handlers) the light lives in a pelican box with nice thick foam. I alwas leave the ring on the lid. Check it regularly and make sure its fed its required grease. When diving in-state, the light is assembled at home to ensure nothing comes between the ring and its seal faces. Then the light goes into the plastic container with all other gear. On site: clip off head first, slide can on waist belt and secured.

These lights are quite sturdy and can handle normal to and from dive site traffic. The worst would be to assemble on site/boat and have something interfer (sand/dust/water spray etc)

Meng_Tze:
When diving in-state, the light is assembled at home to ensure nothing comes between the ring and its seal faces. Then the light goes into the plastic container with all other gear.

I'd worry about transporting the light with the battery plugged in. If the switch accidentally gets hit, you're going to have a dead battery or, worse, melted/burnt stuff.

Please keep the suggestions coming, by the way. I also recently bought a HID and have been looking for a thread like this too.

Never drop the battery pack into the cannister. Even small jolts like this can damage the battery pack. Lay the cannister on its side and slide the battery pack inside it. Then stand it upright and plug it in and close the lid.

When locking the latches, do your best to lock them simultaneously.

Never transport it with the battery pack plugged in.

This one seems obvious... but it happens all the time... never lift the assembled cannister and lid by the chord... and watch out for buddies that might pick it up that way!

Oh... you probably should learn the mechanics of burn testing and then do that test every once and a while.

Learn what to do when you flood it... sooner or later you will. Be prepared and you might be able to save the battery pack when it happens.

Stephen Ash:
Learn what to do when you flood it... sooner or later you will. Be prepared and you might be able to save the battery pack when it happens.

any tips? have no idea what to do should it flood.

Just checking, in storage remove canister o-ring and store in canister? Got it right?

Back
Top Bottom