Salvo vs Halcyon Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm been doing some research on canister lights (even entertained making my own ... have all the parts but not the time) in order to evaluate which one to buy. I had narrowed it down to Halcyon or DiveRite but a friend just turned me on to Salvo's, a brand I hadn't heard of. He had just gotten back from a dive in the DR (Dominican Rep.) and used a salvo. Several other divers had Halcyon but the Salvo outshone them (excuse the pun).

So after doing some searches on this board, I think I'm familiar with their equipment and, as a bonus, read all the disputes, lawsuits (criminal) ... et al, between Salvo and Halcyon.

I went to my local LDS who had carries Halcyon and asked for Salvo lights. He said that Halcyon will not sell to him if he carried Salvo lights as well. Has anyone heard of this from other dealers? I didn't think the lawsuit had any "non-compete" settlements attached but I could be mistaken. Does this mean I'll have to buy it on-line (e.g., direct or through LP) or through a dealer that doesn't sell Halcyon?

Has anyone had a chance to evaluate Salvo's lights (or other products) versus Halcyon or, for that matter, other manufacturers? What's your take on their quality?

DiveGolfSki:
I'm been doing some research on canister lights (even entertained making my own ... have all the parts but not the time) in order to evaluate which one to buy. I had narrowed it down to Halcyon or DiveRite but a friend just turned me on to Salvo's, a brand I hadn't heard of. He had just gotten back from a dive in the DR (Dominican Rep.) and used a salvo. Several other divers had Halcyon but the Salvo outshone them (excuse the pun).

So after doing some searches on this board, I think I'm familiar with their equipment and, as a bonus, read all the disputes, lawsuits (criminal) ... et al, between Salvo and Halcyon.

I went to my local LDS who had carries Halcyon and asked for Salvo lights. He said that Halcyon will not sell to him if he carried Salvo lights as well. Has anyone heard of this from other dealers? I didn't think the lawsuit had any "non-compete" settlements attached but I could be mistaken. Does this mean I'll have to buy it on-line (e.g., direct or through LP) or through a dealer that doesn't sell Halcyon?

Has anyone had a chance to evaluate Salvo's lights (or other products) versus Halcyon or, for that matter, other manufacturers? What's your take on their quality?

I dont know about how Halcyon manages its reseller agreements and I dont want to comment on that. It is an agreement between manufacturer and reseller.

As for quality of lights, you can not go wrong with either. The only thing I would advise is to decide what you want and what you want it for. focusable head, fixed focus, battery capacity, size of can, wattage of light, ballast in can or outside of it, warranty, etc. These are all subjective decisions and should be based on your intended use and comfort.

If I had to buy a new light at this point in time, I would go for a Salvo since they started putitng the ballast in the lid and use BS bulbs (24w) that are sturdier. I have a different light at this point in time, but will look for a Salvo when the time comes. But thats just me.

I own an 18W Salvo and have dived with a borrowed 10W Halcyon Helios 4.5. I've also seen a few 18W Helios 9s and an 18W Proteus hybrid in action. Both Halcyon and Salvo make good quality lights.

I've got a 21W Salvo with the remote ballast (this is using the new 21W BS bulbs). I absolutely love it.

Another vote for the Salvo 21W remote ballast light . . . I love mine.

Love my 21w Salvo, which I bought directly from them. Have dived with divers with the H lights, too, and they seem great (borrowed a 10w, too, whice was very nice).

I've read some negative stuff on the internet (so you know it must be true) about H's service. I've personally had excellent service from Salvo and have never read anything negative about their service.

That's everything I know.

DiveGolfSki:
Has anyone heard of this from other dealers?

No, but something about Halcyon, they are very strict on how the retailers deal with their products. Recently, there's a LDS being taken away from their retailer list, because they were selling Halcyon items lower than the min price suggestion. As a result, the LDS does not carry Halcyon product anymore. But if there is really such thing as "you cannot sell Halcyon at the same time if you sell brand A...."

it's a little bit too much... don't you think?

My vote is for Salvo. Not only for the quality but for the customer service as well. I was packing for a trip when I noticed 2 bare / broken wires on the charger. I sent an email to Salvo last Saturday around noon, my phone was ringing 40 minutes later. Dwain had the replacement in the mail Monday morning, can't beat that.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Salvo service... had a problem with a charger, called them up, they asked me if I wanted it overnighted to me. Told them no big deal, wasn't in any rush. They ended up accidently sending me the wrong charger. I was a little frusterated but these things happen. I call them up again, he apologized, sent me the right charger and told me to keep the other one as well.

Also Salvo is also warranting their bulbs for 1 year. I know Sartec doesn't do that (cost me $100 to find that out), not sure about Halcyon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom