Info on repairing and parts for older canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galileo1956

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was given to canister lights and have been working on them. Both were sold by a now defunct company:The Underwater Connection: Specialty Diving Equipment, Newport New, VA.

I have no idea how old they are. I am going to include full specs on both, including pictures. Ron at Dive Rite said the reflector heads (identical in both and an extra) sounded like a Dive Rite H-10 Halogen head. They both use halogen bulbs. One has a blub lens and the other needs one. I'll start with the big one first

Canister: Lexan is now 25 cm tall (cut down from about 30 to eliminate crack; top surface refinished to original smoothness), compression latches reset for new height.
Outside diameter:12.8 cm; Inside Diameter: 11.5 cm; Wall thickness: .6 or.7 cm.
The lid is 2.5 cm thick w/ an additional 1 cm stand off block to give wiring clearance.

Batteries: 2-Power Sonic Model PS-1270, 12v, 7AH SLA batteries wired in series. I will need to replace these with something that will give me the power and duration for underwater photography and exploring nooks and crannies (not to mention night dives). It came with a corroded 50w halogen of unknown make.

The bulb fits into a ceramic socket that fits in a 2 cm diameter aluminum housing with three O-rings that increases tio 2.5 cm to fit snugly in the reflector head.

For this one I am looking for a bulb lens the is 5.1 cm in length, 2.5 cm outside diameter, and a 2.0 cm inside diameter.

The second canister light is smaller: 26.7 cm in height, Outside diameter 7.8 cm, Inside diameter 6.2 cm, wall thickness: .70 cm.
Batteries: 3-2.0v, 5.0AH Cyclon X-cell rechargeable batteries (SLA) wired in series. Height: 9.2 cm, diameter 4.8 cm. The battery pack is glued together and was encased in red shrink wrap.

The cable, bulb, and reflector head are exactly the same as the big light. This halogen bulb was numbered Phillips 57A. I do not know what wattage.

These were freebies and I don't mind spending a bit to get the going again. The main thing is to find a source of batteries and advice about that. Can I get one SLA 24v battery with good amperage to run the big light or am I going to have to wire to 12's in series to get that? And the small one: I have never seen a battery set up like that before. I am assuming it ran a much lower wattage halogen bulb (10-15w??).

Anyway, I would welcome anyone that has advice and might know of places to the sort of stuff I need to write. Now I have to figure out how to attach to pictures!

Thanks,

Jim

I have been looking around and found 2-12v 5.0 AH Interstate SLA batteries for the big light. I also found both 35w and 50w halogen bulbs that fit the reflector head. Hooked batteries in parallel, got 12.56v. Plugged in a 35w and a 50w halogen bulb into the ceramic socket in the light head and Lo, there was light! I am rebuilding the wiring harness and replacing the toggle switch (if I can find a marine supply store in New Mexico that had booted toggle switches.

Interstate found and is ordering the Cyclon X-cell 2v, 5AH batteries for the smaller light. I found a 15w, 6v halogen bulb and will see how that works because these batteries will need to be wired in series.

I still need a source for a bulb lens (tube for one head). Any information on sources will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,
I also have a similar canister light of a different brand and have had very good luck getting parts from D.P.V. Repair 352-307-3575, http://www.dpvrepair.com.
The booted switch should be available from any good electronics supply. I get mine from MSC Industrial Supply. They also carry lead acid batteries used in emergency lights. I think I saw the bulb sockets in their catalog also. You should be able to access their catalog on the web. I bought several bulb sockets from D.P.V. Repair as well as the test tube lenses.
I usually purchase my batteries from a local alarm supply company.
Hope this helps,
John

Back
Top Bottom