Salvo li-ion smart charger TOAST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i decided to give my battery a full charge yesterday,i mentioned that i was going to do this for the weekend. this was effectively the second time i would have charged the light. i charged it using the usual outlet w/ voltage regulator in my house. i had previously charged my cellphone, nimh rechargable batts. now i plug in the salvo charger and after 5 mins i hear a loud POP. to my horror its the charger. the charger felt super hot to the touch and smelt burnt. i removed it and tried it again but its toast. its weird bec my oulet is 240v and the charger says its rated 100-240v. now i cant charge or use my light. help!!!

Was the switch on the charger set to the right voltage?

The charger that comes with the Salvo lights "look" pretty"generic". Maybe you ought to order a better one... like this Maha...
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-c777plus.htm

I also have a Nexcel ... which is a killer charger... but I have to find out if it will do Li ions. It's FAST! Comes with its own fan, too!

Rick Inman:
Was the switch on the charger set to the right voltage?

it came fixed there are two settings but mine seems set on one setting. i cant change it. i dont think thats the problem since i charged my batts the first time i got it.

Spoon:
just curious will a nimh work with a li-ion battery?

The Maha charger is a universal charger and will do both NiMH and Li ion.
I would think that any NiMH charger would work as long as it has a cutoff. It's nice to have a thermistor, too... but you would have to add one to the Salvo pack or use a charger... like the Maha... that has a clip on external thermistor.
I don't know for sure... I'm not a battery expert and I don't have Li ion batteries.

Stephen Ash:
The Maha charger is a universal charger and will do both NiMH and Li ion.
I would think that any NiMH charger would work as long as it has a cutoff. It's nice to have a thermistor, too... but you would have to add one to the Salvo pack or use a charger... like the Maha... that has a clip on external thermistor.
I don't know for sure... I'm not a battery expert and I don't have Li ion batteries.

thanks. was just wondering if it was possible coz my friend has a salvo too but nimh. im not going to risk frying my batts. am off to find a charger. i reckon i may have a shot in one of those shops that cell radio control cars and gadgets. i might even attempt to have the charger fixed

Yah... I wouldn't risk it either. Maybe Tobin will come along and give us a good answer.

I checked on the Nexcell and it says that it will only do NiMH.

You had to go and get the Li ion light...didn't ya?
Probably, just to be "different"! :D

Have you contacted Salvo? From what I have heard their customer service is very good so who knows - they might just send you a new one, or have some other ideas/help they can offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom