18W hid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meekal:
just became the proud owner of a Halcyon Explorer Pro 14 - mainly because the original owner didn't want to spring for the NEW BULB

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/catalog/order/hid.shtml

now i see why! eeeks.... is there a 'better' source for the same bulb?

thanks in advance

You have three choices:

1) Spring the $220+ for a new W/A bulb. Casts a wonderful light, but its fragile and expensive

2) Send it to Sartek and for $125 + return freight ($10) they'll put in a BrightStar bulb that will never fail. Have them check the ballast first. It the ballast blew out the previous W/A bulb it will also blow out the BrightStar

3) PM Me. I have a gently loved W/A bulb for less than $225.

---
Ken

i'm ALL green around the edges on this stuff.... i know i should do my OWN homework, but since the expertise is lurking around this wonderful thread..... is the BrightStar bulb as good/better/etc etc than the Welch Allyn bulb?

is there a way to test the ballast for a NON-TECHIE type dork like me?

The BS bulb is more durable, to be sure.

The BS bulbs come in two flavors: We'll call them original and new (or small and long.)

Sartek is doing BS "upgrades" for $125. They use the small, original style bulb. They fabricate an aluminum extender (about 1/2") and install it on the light post so this smaller bulb sits at about the right spot within the test tube, such that the reflector will deliver the variable wide / narrow adjustable beam.

The good news is you pay about half of what the W/A bulb alone costs, and you get a very durable alternative. The bad news is some people do not like the light this smaller bulb casts. After diving a W/A 18w for several years, I can say it is different. The color temp is different, there is a pinkish cast to one side of the beam, etc. Honestly, I like the light of the W/A better.

That said, I do not regret getting the upgrade. I use my light for night lobstering and on every day dive - so I never dive without it. It gets bumped and knocked around quite a lot - Surf entries and exits, the occasional roll in the sand, etc. So I appreciate the durability of it. The color temp and pink spot are a small price to pay for a light that will last and last, IMO.

The newer, longer BS bulb that Salvo uses is supposed to be even nicer. I just secured a 21 W Salvo, and this Thursday night I'm taking both out for a sort of Bright Star shoot out. I'll let you know what I find.

There are a lot of smart people here that can assist. There are also lots of smart people on TDS that can assist. (www.thedecostop.com) Lots of people have modified their Saturn V / Silo / Duraflame Pro 14's. Cut down the canister, switched out to NiMH batteries, etc, etc.

Keep posting questions - people will respond.

---
Ken

what happend to the FLIPPER OFF THE BOAT avatar? that was way cool....

pink eh.... ummmmm..... if i were chasing anemoneFish it'd be a selling point.....

look forward to the HEAD-2-HEAD comparison on the 18W vs 21W.... i'm already over my head going from a UK Light Cannon to 30# of motorcycle batteries strapped to my heinie..... i'm gonna have to start wearing a PONY bottle just so i turtle flip throughout the whole dive!!!

duraFlame - hehehehehe - very appropriate! i guess i might travel down the DIY path on reUsing the head and ON/OFF Lid and having different 'bases' for different scenarios..... do i REALLY need 4.5 hours of light on a 45 FSW night dive in key largo?

Mo2vation:
The BS bulb is more durable, to be sure.

The BS bulbs come in two flavors: We'll call them original and new (or small and long.)

Sartek is doing BS "upgrades" for $125. They use the small, original style bulb. They fabricate an aluminum extender (about 1/2") and install it on the light post so this smaller bulb sits at about the right spot within the test tube, such that the reflector will deliver the variable wide / narrow adjustable beam.

The good news is you pay about half of what the W/A bulb alone costs, and you get a very durable alternative. The bad news is some people do not like the light this smaller bulb casts. After diving a W/A 18w for several years, I can say it is different. The color temp is different, there is a pinkish cast to one side of the beam, etc. Honestly, I like the light of the W/A better.

That said, I do not regret getting the upgrade. I use my light for night lobstering and on every day dive - so I never dive without it. It gets bumped and knocked around quite a lot - Surf entries and exits, the occasional roll in the sand, etc. So I appreciate the durability of it. The color temp and pink spot are a small price to pay for a light that will last and last, IMO.

The newer, longer BS bulb that Salvo uses is supposed to be even nicer. I just secured a 21 W Salvo, and this Thursday night I'm taking both out for a sort of Bright Star shoot out. I'll let you know what I find.

There are a lot of smart people here that can assist. There are also lots of smart people on TDS that can assist. (www.thedecostop.com) Lots of people have modified their Saturn V / Silo / Duraflame Pro 14's. Cut down the canister, switched out to NiMH batteries, etc, etc.

Keep posting questions - people will respond.

---
Ken

from what i understand, the new BS bulb will not work with the halcyon ballast (i called salvo). so i had to go with the WA bulb.

That is not true. The WA ballast will drive the BS bulbs also.

Greetings, Michael

Not all W/A ballasts will drive the Brightstar bulb. The BS bulb is rated for 21 watts and can have some difficulty with being started by a W/A ballast. We select individual BS lamps to insure that they will ignite properly with the W/A ballast. The new BS double ended lamp (which we have also) can have the same start-up problem as the BS "acorn" lamp.

limeyx:
not acording to salvo.
It depends on which bulb you're talking about.

The short bulb will work with the W/A ballast ... I know this to be the case, because last year Barry refitted my old Helios 9 with a BS short bulb and it worked just fine with the original W/A ballast. However, I was not completely happy with the performance of the light using that bulb.

The long bulb will not work with the W/A ballast ... and to the best of my knowledge, Salvo is presently using the long bulb in all of their lights, due to it's better ability to focus a tight beam.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom