need advice about dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi there, hubby's birthday is coming up and i know he would like to have a nice dive light, better than the typical princeton tek jobbie. i would like to get him one that would illuminate colors appropriately, plenty of candle power so to speak also. what about that new light from diagnosticlights.com?? it's like $325 pretty pricey, so i would only condiser it if its really really awesome. please advise me. by the way, he would want to use it on daytime dives for looking under nooks and crannies, and for seeing what the "real" color of things are, as well as use for night diving. any advice is greatly appreciated. we've been diving almost two years now and just love it! and scubaboard is awesome!! thanks, donna

http://www.diverssupplyusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17764

This is the next step up from a Princeton Tek jobbie. It's worth every penny and then some. It's about $400 cheaper than most similar lights. It has a night tight beam that will be very visible in the daytime. Very bright, white light.. lasts 4 hours.. fully rechargable. Suitable for all types of diving.

I can't seem to pull up diagnosticlights.com so I'm not sure what you're looking at there... but nothing under $700 compares with this one.

lol on the elastic... that's true

it's funny, but the elastic is a lot more comfortable for me, so i don't mind at all

one other thing to consider is service. Dive Rite is pretty good about service,
whereas Diver's Supply (Sea Elite's distributor), in my experience, is a bit more laxed
in getting stuff back to you.

their "official" regulator maintenance time frame is 2 weeks. it's now
been three weeks since i got mine in, and it's still not ready.

Underwater Kenetics has a hand held 10w HID light (light canon 100). In terms of bang-for-the-buck it's a darn good light..... On Scubatoys it's $160. Larry is a member here and I've heard he has a Scubaboard discount for members. You might want to PM him and ask him for advice.

R..

Diver0001:
Underwater Kenetics has a hand held 10w HID light (light canon 100). In terms of bang-for-the-buck it's a darn good light..... On Scubatoys it's $160. Larry is a member here and I've heard he has a Scubaboard discount for members. You might want to PM him and ask him for advice.

R..
One thing to point out in comparing the Light Cannon to the above-mentioned canister lights is that the UK Light Cannon does not come standard with a rechargeable battery kit ... that's an upgrade that costs an extra $100. But it is a good light (if you want a hand-held) for the money. For $160 you get a light that eats eight C batteries in a very few dives. By comparison, the canister lights mentioned all come with rechargeable NiMH batteries that will last 4 or 5 hours between charges ... and up to 1000 charges before you need to replace the battery.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it has a wider beam than most canister lights ... which is great for some applications and not so hot for others.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah, if you're looking for a "step up" from the hand-helds, definetly
the canister lights are the way to go

Hi, Sartek has a new series of light systems. If you are looking to go to a HID light, I guarantee that you will impressed by Sartek's features and customer service. The web site has some info on the latest and greatest. www.sarind.com and they can be contacted at info@sarind.com
Carl

Carls:
Hi, Sartek has a new series of light systems. If you are looking to go to a HID light, I guarantee that you will impressed by Sartek's features and customer service. The web site has some info on the latest and greatest. www.sarind.com and they can be contacted at info@sarind.com
Carl
Welcome to ScubaBoard ... would you be the Carl S who owns Sartek ??? If so ... while I would welcome your expertise in this and othe forums, a little disclosure would be a point of courtesy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom