NiMH vs Li Ion Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstroupe

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen lights that use each kind of battery type, any generally accepted preferences for diving or is it simply cost?

thanks

gstroupe:
I've seen lights that use each kind of battery type, any generally accepted preferences for diving or is it simply cost?

thanks

Since I assume you are buying a light (as opposed to building one), the main practical difference (aside from the physical size/weight of the canister), is that you can figure on replacing a Lithium Ion battery after 3-4 years even if you've only cycled it a few times.

Lithium Ion batteries are subject to aging unlike NiMH.

Those are some pretty interesting articles, explains what happened to my Ipod, and my camera. Stupid Li batteries.

SmileMon:
With NIMH its recharging cycles...

So you're ****** either way.. :D

You can always go back to SLA. :D

SLA lifetime is 1-5 years... depending on the current.

Rechargable batteries are just cheaper if you plan to use them constantly for a year more of less.

If you plan to use something twice a year, don't bother with the high price of rechargable batteries and go with alkaline - monster makes a very strong battery.

The trick with all the rechargable batteries - to make their life longer - don't empty them completely and don't overcharge them, and they might survive longer than a year.. :D

nimh batteries only last 30-50 cycles, and their damn expensive to replace. But so are li-ion...

wgplife:
nimh batteries only last 30-50 cycles, and their damn expensive to replace. But so are li-ion...
============================================
I have several sets of AA sized 2300 MaH batteries (NiMH) and they cost me around $16 for 4. Even with a life of 30 - 50 cycles that is pretty reasonable when you compare it (all things being equal) to Alkalines or the AA sized Lithiums.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom