Some things are just worth the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I now have a month with my Salvo 21W remote ballast can light.

You know, some things just make you happy. I had a dive today where nothing went terribly right -- I was using a rental dry suit (mine finally just HAD to go in for repair) which felt funny and didn't vent well. I forgot that I couldn't use my dry gloves with it, so I had to borrow wet gloves from a gracious man who parked his truck next to me, whose hands are TWICE my size, so I couldn't even clip and unclip my regulator. I was leading the dive with my husband following, and I got lost AGAIN.

But all through the dive, the light was awesome. Focused, bright, comfortable to carry (even with the gloves where I could only get three fingers through the handle). Reliable. This light is just a thoroughly nice piece of equipment, and it was worth what I paid for it.

I love my 21w DR...only thing I have against it is that it doesent really like cold water...it seems as if it gets homesick for florida once the temp drops below 6C...

Those crazy-bright HIDs make an believable difference in diving enjoyment and safety. I'm so glad to hear you're having a great time with yours!

I dived tonight with a generously-loaned 18W, while my buddy used my 10W.

Oh my.

Brilliant colors and phenomenal communication tool. I loved it!

Just when I thought I'd finished buying gear... *sigh*....

~~~~~~
Claudette

I tried my Salvo 9A 18W at night for the first time recently. We started as the sun was setting so initially the focused beam was great. Later when it got totally dark, the beam was so crazy bright that I had to switch to wide beam a few times in order not to scare away or hurt the sensitive eyes of underwater critters. Day or night, the light has been great and utterly reliable and the 9A NiMH battery/18W lighthead combo provides a long enough burn time that I can do four short (40-50 minutes) dives a day without having to open the canister and charge the battery in between dives.

well, how much are they?...just curious, and nosey.

$1300 for a friggin' flashlight!!!!!!

And not only is it $1300, but it is TOO bright for a night dive in the tropics!

Did I mention it is $1300?

Yes, she DOES love her toys -- good thing I keep her working. (Now ducking for cover)

Peter Guy:
$1300 for a friggin' flashlight!!!!!!

And not only is it $1300, but it is TOO bright for a night dive in the tropics!

Did I mention it is $1300?

Yes, she DOES love her toys -- good thing I keep her working. (Now ducking for cover)

Pug - look like my exact words??!!! :D

There is no light too bright for a DAY dive.

Its not a flashlight. Its a piece of critical safety equipment that comes with you on every dive, because its a part of your rig. My light is as much a part of my rig as my knife, my waist band and my regulator. I never, ever do a dive (day or night) without a light. Its that simple.

And Lynn is right - some things are simply worth the money. There is no single piece of gear that has delivered more safety and more joy - no piece of gear that has lifted the fun of my diving more than my can light.

If things got rough, I would eBay my dry suit before eBaying my light. Its the best investment in my diving I've ever made.

BTW, PG. There are many, many less painful ways to take the first step. Heck, you can get a DiveRite 10W or Sartek 10W for about $400 from eBay (sometimes less...) Use that as your base, then start stepping up. Its how many of us got to our 18's and 21's. A couple of hundred dollars at a time. Sell off some of your old gear - I can say without reservation there is nothing you have that hasn't gotten wet in the last 3 months that is worth more to you than a good Canister Light.

---
Ken

Its not a flashlight. Its a piece of critical safety equipment that comes with you on every dive, because its a part of your rig. My light is as much a part of my rig as my knife, my waist band and my regulator. I never, ever do a dive (day or night) without a light. Its that simple.

You said it, Ken!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom