Simple light flooding problem ... I hope ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Tektite 3c LED backup light that I really like, except that it floods on me frequently (about every 15-20 dives) It is a screw down bezel type switch, which means that if I unscrew it too far in the process of turning it off it WILL flood. The problem is I only turn it off as far as necessary to get the lamp off - and still it floods - it's a 2 o-ring type. Fortunately the electronics inside have survived all the floodings, I soak in vinegar for a few minutes, then dunk in a baking soda solution, rinse and put back together again. The last time it flooded I understood at least, A buddy saw my light on and turned it off for me... nearly unscrewing the bezel completely.

Any ideas how to keep this from happening in the future?

http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-flashlights/expedition-star-led-flashlight.aspx

Aloha, Tim

Hmm it almost sounds like a design defect.

Since you can't move the O rings (not easily anyway), my suggestion would be to try modifying the position of the switch contacts so that the light turns off sooner.

Depending on how these are constructed, you might be able to do this by gently bending the metal contacts or it might require surgery to the plastic supporting them.

I hadn't even considered that - I assume just clipping off 1/16" of the metal contact bar would move it far enough

Thanks, Tim

This doesn't solve your problem, Tim, but I went through three backup lights that flooded and eventually wouldn't work any more, before I bought the Photon Torpedo from Bob. It's been with me for several months and hasn't flooded yet, and better yet, has worked every time it's been called upon!

I've also wondered about getting some slightly thicker o-rings - they may seal better. It is a double O-Ring design.

I'd like to fix this one as I really like the light though...

I hope you can fix it but I've been through several twist-on backup lights and I've had the same problem. If finally went to a Pelican Recoil (LED) that has a level type switch rather than a twist-on. Since it uses 4 AA batteries and an LED bulb there is almost no reason to ever have to take the head off.

Perhaps there is a defect in the sealing surface. Take a good look for scratches or burrs. It would take just a thin scratch across the seal to leak. Also, while you are testing, perhaps dive it without the batteries and electronics to save them from the unnecessary abuse.

If all else fails, you could buy yourself another one as a birthday present!

Possibly lube the o rings where they just slightly glisten....not much at all and that might help. Or try a new o ring. I had a cat once and it caused problems with everything I had that took an o ring. Couldn't keep the hairs from sticking to......well everything but especially my o rings.

Brent

thanks hunter...

actually after the last "flood" the light died ... quite sad as I liked the light. I'm considering going with a halogen for awhile now. I'll see...

Aloha, Tim

TSandM:
This doesn't solve your problem, Tim, but I went through three backup lights that flooded and eventually wouldn't work any more, before I bought the Photon Torpedo from Bob. It's been with me for several months and hasn't flooded yet, and better yet, has worked every time it's been called upon!

Gotta second the Photon Torpedo. I never used a scout, but I've seen them, and I'm sure my PT can beat up any scout! :D

Seriously, though, I've had mine (2) for over a year, and for a while I didn't have a HID primary, so I used them on every dive. Many many on-off cycles. Never had even a trickle on the inside. Never had them turn on accidentally with pressure (rec depths only, I'm not T1 yet).

Back to your light though, perhaps some silicon grease eh o-rings might help?

Back
Top Bottom