Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend of mine went down to Cozumel with a HID light. When he went to take a night dive, the DM said that the light was to strong and would damage the coral and eyes of fish. He loaned him a light from the boat for the dive. Are there cetain limits to the output when diving reefs vs fresh water wrecks? If so what are they? Thanks

Hi,

there is not really a limit, but of course, a strong light can injure the fishes eyes. You should never turn your light towards the eyes of fishes (or people).

Greetings, Michael

LOL!!! This has got to be the craziest thing I've ever heard? HID's are bright, but brigther than the SUN!? I'm thinking that a little piece of colored cloth held on with a rubber band could have solved the problem. I guess some people just don't like to find solutons to problems.

PARADISE HUNTER:
A friend of mine went down to Cozumel with a HID light. When he went to take a night dive, the DM said that the light was to strong and would damage the coral and eyes of fish. He loaned him a light from the boat for the dive. Are there cetain limits to the output when diving reefs vs fresh water wrecks? If so what are they? Thanks

I have to agree with PerroneFord. If that is the case the 70 watt HID video light that we will be releasing will burn the reefs like a laser:14: It has equivilent to 250 watts halogen.

PARADISE HUNTER:

I have to agree with PerroneFord. If that is the case the 70 watt HID video light that we will be releasing will burn the reefs like a laser:14: It has equivilent to 250 watts halogen.

PARADISE HUNTER:

Is it bad ettiquette to shine lights on sleeping fish in general? I noticed that in my night dive in Cozumel that if we shined lights on a fish long enough, it would draw the attention of a hungry grouper or snapper who started chasing the fish around.

occrider:
Is it bad ettiquette to shine lights on sleeping fish in general? I noticed that in my night dive in Cozumel that if we shined lights on a fish long enough, it would draw the attention of a hungry grouper or snapper who started chasing the fish around.

Hello occrider,

It’s not bad etiquette as long as you’re not pestering the fish or putting your light 10 inches in front of its face. When reef diving at night I like to use a floodlight reflector in my lamp, that way I see much more of the reef and the fish in my light will see any predators coming before they get in the danger zone.

I also agree with Manta and PerroneFord, HID’s are bright but not brighter than the sun. The only way an HID “could” damage coral is if you set the light 1 inch away from the coral and left it there for a couple of hours. Maybe then you would cause some damage, but an a normal dive you pass your light over the coral for a few second and that from a distance of 6 to 12 feet and that will not damage coral or fish eyes.

I think the Cozumel DM had a serious case of light envy or smokes a little too much of the local “herb.”

Guys, you are missing what I'd consider a more important point. Without bantering
the concepts of burning coral or damaging fish eyes, consider these points.

1. To go on a night dive one typically wants to see nocturnal critters. "Most" night
hunters will run away from bright lights. You will most likely see less of the
nighttime critters with a brighter light. (The opposite side of this coin is the
hunter that takes advantage of your light and hunts with you.)

2. If your eyes get used to seeing "bright" light, then your peripheral night vision
will be diminished. Sure, you'll see what is in the beam of your light, but you'll
miss a lot of movement in the fringes. Again, you'll most likely see less nighttime
critters.

... and finally, fish often use a lot of resources to create a sleeping environment
that will make them (reasonably) invisible to the nocturnal hunters. If using a
bright light disturbs these fish, or attracts a hunter to them, then you will have
shortened the life of a sleeping fish.

I'm not as experienced in night diving as a lot of members on this forum but I do one
every chance that I can. And, we all have our preferences/experiences.
Pesonnally, I've never felt the need for more than a Mini C light in a blue water
night dive.

So, don't condemn the DM for suggesting a lower intensity lamp. His suggestion
to use smaller light is based on experience and knowledge of the sealife which
you seek.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom