flickering c8 eLed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was diving a couple times this past weekend, and my c8 eLed was flickering a lot and wasn't shining very brightly. I had replaced the batteries w/ brand new ones before this weekend and I looked at the bulb and it looks ok. Does anyone know what could be going on wtih it and what I can do? Thanks for the help

LEDs often run with a chipset, a small, integrated chip that controls power delivery. Sounds like yours might be going bad. I'd contact the manufacturer.

I always thought perhaps a power regulator such as the 7805 and maybe one resistor is enough..
They make things too complicated these days... time for DIY! :D

SmileMon:
I always thought perhaps a power regulator such as the 7805 and maybe one resistor is enough..
They make things too complicated these days... time for DIY! :D
you say "power regulator and resistor", I say chipset. Either way, it's gone funky and the manu. should cover it. :)

c555:
Thanks, I will look at the manual.
I meant manufacturer, when I got lazy and wrote manu. :D

Unless you are using the manual to look up contact info for the manufacturer. Instead of the internet. How quaint. :wink:

I have seen a problem where two diffent types of battery were in a torch and they weren't quite the same size. As the torch moved, the contacts were constantly being broken and re-connected as the batteries moved around a bit inside.

Don't use a 7085 voltage regulator with LED's... This is a recepie for disaster and will likely melt your torch. LED's require a regulated current supply, not voltage. Torches like the shockwave LED will dim as the batteries drain. The UK torches should hold their brightness longer over the battery's normal discharge curve.

As for the toch flickering please check that your batteries are all the same size and that the battery spring try is installed correctly. Bumping batteries when you shake the torch will cause the flickering you describe. Hope this fixes the problem.

Back
Top Bottom