EKPP reflector looks like crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
How many of you guys and gals with an EKPP reflector have noticed it looking like crap. My reflector is extremely dull and spotted. I can't tell if it is hardwater or calcium buildup or if it is a problem with the reflector surface itself. I've tried all the usual things to remove calcium... well everything but lime-away... but no luck. Anyone know of something that actually works?

I have searched and have only found two threads about this problem... Mo2vation's thread here and on TDS. But there was no resolution. Any ideas?

Heehee... and I was hoping for an answer in this thread...

Can you believe the lemon juice thing? please.

If you find something that works (aside from lining soggy's pockets for another one... :D ) let me know.

---
Ken

have you tried vinegar?

works great for removing mineral build up on all kinds of stuff.

Mo2vation:
Heehee... and I was hoping for an answer in this thread...

Can you believe the lemon juice thing? please.

If you find something that works (aside from lining soggy's pockets for another one... :D ) let me know.

---
Ken

I was hoping that you had figured it out by now. Rats!

I tried everything. Even some wacky stuff - that late night TV Tarnish remover, Cymbal cleaner, Car Chrome cleaner, that stuff that removes lime, rust and whatever from showerheads and tubs....

I have found nothing that works.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:

Hey now! :)

While I don't use one of the reflectors myself, a couple of my buddies do and they haven't had this problem. If someone can send me the details of the issue, I can contact DIR Zone and see what he has to say.

Does it actually affect the beam underwater or is it purely cosmetic?

Soggy:
Does it actually affect the beam underwater or is it purely cosmetic?

I have noticed it getting pretty grubby for some time now but I don't know for sure if it was affecting the beam.

My light died a couple of months ago and I just got it back from Howard. I was doing a burn test when I noticed a bunch of dark spots of the side of the pail in the halo of light. It might have been from condensation inside the tube... cause after the burn test I saw a few water droplets inside (thanks to Chicago humidity).

Anyway... I'll check it out this weekend and let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom