Is the the Light Cannon that much better than the C8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billy,

I own a LC and have dove with others that have the C8. IMO, I can tell a difference especially at night or when the day is cloudy. During the day when the sun is out, there is not much of a difference. You can get pretty decent deals on the LC. Good luck with your decision.

Phil

Scubatoys will also give you a Scubaboard member's discount (generally 10%) if you call in your order and ask for it.

I've never actually bought anything from them, but I've read plenty of not exactly thrilled people asking, after the fact, why they didn't get the discount when they ordered.

Don't become one of them!

The light cannon isn't in the same league as the D8, as they use totally different light methods.

If you're about to spend $170 on a hand-held HID light, you should consider two options:

A) Spending a whole lot less for a hand held light

B) Spending a bit more for a 10w HID Canister light

For between $375 and $400 you can get an excellent 10W canister light from eBay, TDS or our own Classified section. The difference will be remarkable. 4 hour burn times, hands free diving, integration into your BC / BP-W (read: you'll take it on every dive), thousands of charge cycles, a tight beam with which to signal your buddy, etc, etc, etc.

If you insist on diving a wide Dispersion hand-held flood light, I can't see why you'd pony up the bucks for a Light Cannon. They're fragile, flood the scene with light, are worthless for signaling and cost way too much for what you get. Pay half that if you need a hand held light and pocket the difference.

OR - ebay the play station and get a real light you'll actually take on every dive. A light that becomes a piece of safety equipment. A light that is as important to your dive kit as your regulator, BC and Fins. A light you'll never ever regret purchasing - a quality canister light.

The entry-level 10 watters can be had for around $400. The 18's for about $800-ish or less.

Almost anyone who is diving a canister light followed the path we're talking about here. C6, D8, Light Cannon, 10w, 18w, 21w. Save yourself the headache and get a 10w Canister. You can roll it later for what you paid for it (unlike Light Cannons they hold their value) and step into an 18, or you can keep it around for a buddy light.

---
Ken

Well for me this would be an intermediate until I can afford an 18w canister. Which will not be for about a year(getting married in May '07 and if my fiance found out I spent $800 on a light she would sell all of my gear after some rancher in idaho found me.) So I figured that this would be satisfactory until I'm ready for the big boy. Does that sound semi-logical?

Adam - I had no idea about the discount and got advice from Larry from scubatoys on SB. That kind of sucks. Thus far they have been nothing but top notch, even sent me an extra DL cable for my comp because they weren't sure if it was in the first package they shipped. They didn't even wait until I received it.

Billy

neophyte:
Scubatoys will also give you a Scubaboard member's discount (generally 10%) if you call in your order and ask for it.
Adam, I totally forgot about their discount offer.
Mo2vation:
They're fragile
Ken - I disagree, my LC has been banged around and flown to Thailand and Honduras with no troubles. I have 125-150 dives with the light and the bulb is still going strong, never skipped a beat.
Of course, it doesn't compare to a can light. That's why I am getting my 21w Salvo shortly.:D

Phil

I have been looking for the same lights...

Yes, I agree, in terms of brightness...
C8 -> $ -> Cannon -> $$ -> BrightStar HID -> $$$ -> Canister

Then the maintanence cost, HID bulbs are fragile and you cannot turn it on and off
right the way, then some HID bulbs are less fragile than the others, then if you plan to use the light for taking photo's, the quality of the light comes into the picture, e.g. color temp, dark spot or bright spot at the middle or a very good diffuser which hopefully keeps most of the brightness and makes it looks natural....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom