7 LED's light head review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100

Reaction score
So I've finally see a LED array goes brighter than a 10W HID....

It seems to me that LED's light has a lot of good potential, the brightness and reliability (long life). By saying these, I mean it's the start of LED's, most probably there are more "bright items" comming up, would it be the best time to have one? Or wait until later? It's up to our need; price-wise, it's a large range. C8 has LED version, and when the LED products are attempting to bring brightness close to the HID, the price would also be expensive.

Read Simon Powell's review - sounds interesting but without a focusable light head, the Solus SU-500 seems pretty useless (for me).

Oh...h
I've read the other thread about backup light, people want focus beam, reliable and long lasting flashlight. When do we want a light with focus beam and when do we want flood? Or is it like if I am having a focus beam and my buddy should have a wide beam?

I don't think there are set "rules." It really depends on how you dive and how you want to use your light...

I use my primary light mainly for signalling/communication so I need a tight, focused beam (easy to see + "reach"). A wide beam is occasionally useful so having a focusable lighthead is, imho, the way to go. If my primary light fails for whatever reason(s), I would still like to have a light to communicate with (as well as to find my way, if necessary) so a backup (or two) with a narrow beam is a must for me.

While communication and penetration were the two primary reasons for buying a HID, I had no intention of spending that much money without the flexibility of a wide beam as well.

Regarding the 6-LED head, I checked the manufacturer's web site and didn't find much actual info. They don't explicitly state the lumens but they refer to 450 & 1000 in their FAQ. The product writeups vaguely compare the lights to different size halogen and HID setups.

This is a promising product and it shows where the industry can be in two years time but for the moment, comparing MSRPs ($1200 for 21w HID vs $1700 for SU-500), depth (1000 ft for Salvo 21w vs 280 ft for SU-500) and illumination (1500 lumens for Salvo 21w HID to 1000 for SU-500), it seems that LED hasn't quite caught up yet.

Edit: Fix typo, add depth.

Halthron:
While communication and penetration were the two primary reasons for buying a HID, I had no intention of spending that much money without the flexibility of a wide beam as well.

Regarding the 6-LED head, I checked the manufacturer's web site and didn't find much actual info. They don't explicitly state the lumens but they refer to 450 & 1000 in their FAQ. The product writeups vaguely compare the lights to different size halogen and HID setups.

This is a promising product and it shows where the industry can be in two years time but for the moment, comparing MSRPs ($1200 for 21w HID vs $1700 for SU-500), depth (1000 ft for Salvo 21w vs 280 ft for SU-500) and illumination (1500 lumens for Salvo 21w HID to 1000 for SU-500), it seems that LED hasn't quite caught up yet.

I know, especially cost wise, when does the LED components became so expensive?
But then, I also think that it is the beginning, the brightest single LED I know of has a output of 200 lumens/W now, but its average life is only 50 hrs. Then the next question I have in mind is, how come some of the the HID bulbs seem to be so fragile, while the others seems to be better. The reliability of HID bulb is a concern since it's expensive to replace and I think for long term, LED seems to be winning (initial cost vs. maintanence fee) in terms of this.

Halthron:

I know, especially cost wise, when does the LED components become so expensive?
But then, I also think that it is the beginning, the brightest single LED I know of has a output of 200 lumens/W now, but its average life is only 50 hrs. Then the next question I have in mind is, how come some of the the HID bulbs seem to be so fragile, while the others seems to be better. The reliability of HID bulb is a concern since it's expensive to replace and I think for long term, LED seems to be winning (initial cost vs. maintanence fee) in terms of this.

alo100:
Then the next question I have in mind is, how come some of the the HID bulbs seem to be so fragile, while the others seems to be better. The reliability of HID bulb is a concern since it's expensive to replace and I think for long term, LED seems to be winning (initial cost vs. maintanence fee) in terms of this.
The problem is that no one makes a HID bulb for diving purposes, all of the bulbs used are designed for other things and happen used for dive lights too. If I remember correctly (and if I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me), BrightStar bulbs (the tough ones) are designed for cars and Welch-Allen (the fragile ones) are designed for medical/surgical lighting. I agree that LED bulbs are more attractive from a toughness standpoint but the BS bulbs are tough enough to whack the light against the wall as well. But, how much extra is the robustness worth when I'm not seeing people complain about broken BS bulbs?

Halthron:
The problem is that no one makes a HID bulb for diving purposes, all of the bulbs used are designed for other things and happen used for dive lights too. If I remember correctly (and if I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me), BrightStar bulbs (the tough ones) are designed for cars and Welch-Allen (the fragile ones) are designed for medical/surgical lighting. I agree that LED bulbs are more attractive from a toughness standpoint but the BS bulbs are tough enough to whack the light against the wall as well. But, how much extra is the robustness worth when I'm not seeing people complain about broken BS bulbs?

Em, I was wondering why, the technology is not a new one, mercury lights, sodium lights are all around in Hwy, and I don't see people busy changing lights on Hwy all the time... I think quality is driven by the market... about WA light, I heard people like the color about it... do it has higher color temp or lower, comparing to BS? Or it's the bright/dark spot at the middle? Just wondered....

Do you know any 35W HID bulb for diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom