Nice med. size reef light rechargeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using very tiny lights for night dives for a few years because I hate to scare creatures away. We really just poke around in a small area at night on the reefs. I am looking for a small to medium size light that is a great reef light, rechargeable if possible or has a power pack, is easy to travel with (sturdy), and costs around the $100 price range or a little more. I am now leaning towards the UK c8 eLED with the upgraded power supply kit. Any thoughts?

No, I don't want to spend several hundred on an HID light and like I said, too much anyay for me personally. I have been very happy with my little tec 40's and even smaller lights. My wife just wants something with more power for those shallow reef dives. Thanks in advance.

Any negatives about these battery power packs?

Might want to take a look at pelican, there warranty can't be beat.

Brent

I have the pelican rechargeable 2460...http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=38957

I have not had it in the water yet but it is as bright as my Ikelite PC light but a white light. Uses 4 AA regular batteries but comes with rechargeable NIMH. Fits really good in your hand. I too hate the large lights and do not like to light up the entire reef. See more creatures at night with a smaller light in my opinion. I am going to try it in the pool tonight.

Here are some pics of the light with charger and to compare to my Ikekite PC which I have used exclusively for night dives as my primary for years.

scubadobadoo:
Small! Thanks stang! Great help!

I post my findings after it get's dark in my pool.

Did I read on the link before that the battery charge will last 32 hrs??? That means you don't have to bring the charger with you for a week long vacation right?

scubadobadoo:
Did I read on the link before that the battery charge will last 32 hrs??? That means you don't have to bring the charger with you for a week long vacation right?

That is what it says on the website and the package. I am going to test it also tonight or tomorrow and leave it on in my pool. Plus with the LED it does not get hot like my PC light.

The only thing is i already have two of the mini uk eled lights and those are 2 watts and only 20 bucks each but not rechargeable. I love this pelican light but if I am going to spend 100 bucks on MORE lights, I would like a little more power. I guess that is why am still looking at the uk c8 eled but this has crappt battery time at only 2-4 hrs so that means lugging an extra piece and charging every night. Hhmmm...

scubadobadoo:
The only thing is i already have two of the mini uk eled lights and those are 2 watts and only 20 bucks each but not rechargeable. I love this pelican light but if I am going to spend 100 bucks on MORE lights, I would like a little more power. I guess that is why am still looking at the uk c8 eled but this has crappt battery time at only 2-4 hrs so that means lugging an extra piece and charging every night. Hhmmm...

I hear you but is different. It sends the light backwards to create a lighthouse light effect and I paid $69 off Ebay brand new and it does have a lifetime warranty. I went with the rechargeable because I liked the fact I did not have to open the light to charge the batteries putting no wear on the o-ring. Waiting until it gets dark to go in pool but I have put them both in my 125 gallon fish tank and the LED is alot brighter in tank.

Another factor for me is I have always had a light that fit in my BC pocket and have used those kind of lights as my primary in carribbean waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom