10w vs. 21w HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering getting a can light in the near future. I have some understandings in regards to the benefits of a 21w HID but would like to have some more justification in regards to spending more for a 21w instead of the 10w.

Personally, I have no intention of making penetrations into wrecks or caves in the future.

What would you say? :huh:

10W HID is perfectly fine for the waters of SE Asia. I dove on and penetrated a few of the Wrecks in the South China Sea, and was comfortable with the small compact light head & output. Opt for the fully enclosed light head, which are more durable than the test tube types (I totally thrashed a test tube model after getting knocked down in the Surf Zone, beach diving here in So. California). . .

Something to consider is that many animals will flee from an extremely bright light. If you're using it for watching animals you might be better off with the 10.

R..

For Thailand, 10W is better for night dives, imho. For deep/limited visibility "day" dives, I've found the 10W light I've tried inadequate - I prefer 18W for communication and general use; it's slightly overkill for night dives but so what. With a 9A NiMH 18W HID, I have a compact canister and adequate burntime for trips where I do four or five dives per day and can only charge my battery at night after the last dive. With 21W, you would need Li-Ion battery to get the same burntime with a similar size battery/canister.

I have an old style Halcyon 10W light head (The one with the #3 reflector).
Even in out murky waters, there is not much difference between my light and the 18-21/24W of the people I'm diving with. It's much brighter than the little, new style, Halcyon lights...
YMMV :wink:

aquaoren:
I have an old style Halcyon 10W light head (The one with the #3 reflector).
Even in out murky waters, there is not much difference between my light and the 18-21/24W of the people I'm diving with. It's much brighter than the little, new style, Halcyon lights...
YMMV :wink:

That's interesting - the 10W I tried was the small Halcyon lighthead that came with the "old" Explorer 4.5; it was much dimmer than my Salvo 18W and my buddy's "hybrid" Halcyon 18W ("new at the time" 18W lighthead with "robotic cord" and SLA/Proteus canister). In poor visibility/light the 10W could hardly be seen...

I think that I have one of the earlier generation Helios 4.5/10W
Not sure as I've bought it used. Probably one of the best purchases I've made...:D

I have to second Vie's opinion:
The 10W is a terrific light for night dives and dim conditions. I have two 10W DiveRite 6 degree fixed beam, compact heads, (one for buddy in case he/she doesn't have a cannister light.) It's tough, enclosed and compact. Small enough to be less exposed during beach entries. Easy to hood with my other hand so as to not over-light sensitive U/W life.

The 10W is not effective for light communication during bright, well-lit daytime dives. It's great for illuminating life, and bringing out the colors. But it doesn't get my buddies attention consistently during the day as does a 21W or 18W cannister light. Buddy can't see the beam sweeping across his field of view or his hands.

I'm fortunate to dive often with a buddy who loans me his spare 21W so we can communicate well during the day. If all I have is the 10W, I have to stay very close and use more touch communication to get his attention.

At night, I prefer the 10W, as I feel the 21W is more light than I need, reduces my eye sensitivity to the dimmer areas in my field of view, and scares away many more animals. It's bigger and more difficult to hood with my other hand.

You will treasure this piece of equipment once you start using it.

Have fun!
Claudette

wunat:
I am considering getting a can light in the near future. I have some understandings in regards to the benefits of a 21w HID but would like to have some more justification in regards to spending more for a 21w instead of the 10w.

Personally, I have no intention of making penetrations into wrecks or caves in the future.

What would you say? :huh:

Hi Wuant,

You should consider looking at our systems, Green Force. We would allow you the flexibility to either upgrade from 10 watt to 21 or down grade from a 21 watt to a 10. Visit our webste for details. If you have any questions, feel free fo contact me.

Thanks - Greg

I used a 10W for about 18 months. When it needed replacing, I went with a 21W. The conditions that I typically dive in which are low vis, the 21W was just a bit nicer. The 10 worked just fine as it had a very narrow focusable beam.

Honestly I probably went with the 21W because I light envy. In clear water - you don't need the extra wattage. Save yourself some money and go with the 10...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom