Beginner Dive Light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafire

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Why is it that every time I go diving, I realize that I could use another piece of equipment?
Anyways, I just went into a cavern on a dive and (obviously) realized that I need my own dive light. (Before anyone crucifies me, I went in but could always still see the light of day and had a buddy with a light). So now that I want a light I am clueless as to what to get. So hit me. What is a good light to go with? I want something small enough to attach to my BC or carry easily in my hand.

UK light canon
10 watt HID, rechargable kit optional.
provides warm white light underwater; wide beam.

If you have any ambition for cavern diving (ie before you do it again), take a cavern class. You will learn alot about safety, equipment and dive skills. Caves have claimed many divers who weren't properly trained.

If you want to get in to cavern diving, talk with your instructor about light choices. Think about the future.

I'm new here, but get the best light you can afford, and don't forget the backup light, especially if you're going INSIDE of anything. I second the cavern class.

scubafire:
Why is it that every time I go diving, I realize that I could use another piece of equipment?
Anyways, I just went into a cavern on a dive and (obviously) realized that I need my own dive light. (Before anyone crucifies me, I went in but could always still see the light of day and had a buddy with a light). So now that I want a light I am clueless as to what to get. So hit me. What is a good light to go with? I want something small enough to attach to my BC or carry easily in my hand.

I would recommend the Ikelite PCa. They are cheap (around $22 at leisure pro when I bought mine), and the brightest you can get for the size (6 AA cells). The drawback is you only get about 2h burn time, but for me it's worth it.

The good thing about this light is that it's small enough to function as a backup if you decide to upgrade to a cannister light or another expensive, powerful light later on, but it's also bright enough to function as a perfect good primary light during night dives, and it has a tight hot spot so it's good for looking into crevices during the day.

Now the PCa is not DIR, so if you intend to go get into cave diving and to use the standard Hogarthian setup with a can light and two top quality twist-on backups, then something like the Photon Torpedo LED might be the way to go, but those are expensive ($150).

Yeah but I believe the pelican sabre lights are and I just ordered 2 from leisure pro for 19.95 each. And got a backup bulb and reflector for an additional 9.95.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom