Canisters: Dive-Rite vs. Green Force

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebrand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting close to purchasing my first canister light, and I'm trying to learn all I need to about them. I've decided I would like to have a rechargeable battery so that I don't need to keep buying and using batteries. Right now I'm torn between a Dive-Rite and Green Force HID light. I would like to hear about the experiences of the Scuba Board users to help me make an informed decision. Here are the properties I would like to have.

6 degree HID Beam
Rechargeable Battery
10 Watts
Medium to long burn time
Reasonable Cost

Please limit your responses to actual dive experiences with the two brands, without "bad-mouthing" one brand or another. I would like to hear actual experiences, both positive and negative, based on actual dive conditions, but nothing where the dive light failed due to user error. All responses should be subjective, not speculative.

I have the DR 10w HID. I love it. However, I also have a friend that just bought one of the Green Force units and I have to admit if I were going to purchase one now, I'd go with the GF.

It has switchable heads and you don't have to remove the battery to charge it, which means you never open up the canister.

While I dot own either one of the lights, my brother does. He dives with and older DR 10W HID, fixed focus light. Good little light with plenty of umph for a small package, good battery life.

His problems with it are the lack of flexible mounting options (only on the belt, too large and cumbersome to mount anywhere else) and having the damn switch on the canister and not on the head.

The Greenforce has the switch on the head and the battery is small/slim enough to be able to mount in the belt, on the plate or on the tanks.....for me (and him) that would be a great....similar to my Metalsub 24W HID that also has the light head switch and multiple mounting options (including a tank mounted, quick disconnect) as well as a fully sealed battery compertment (they never flod)

I have the GF although I chose the LED head instead of the HID. I'm very happy w/ the GF, and since it's modular if you want to change the head later you can. I think the major knock on the GF is thier handle. The cost of a canister light isn't low no matter what you get, Tech Diving Unlimited carries them and can probalbly answer any questions you have over the phone.

red_barbarian:
I have the GF although I chose the LED head instead of the HID. I'm very happy w/ the GF, and since it's modular if you want to change the head later you can. I think the major knock on the GF is thier handle. The cost of a canister light isn't low no matter what you get, Tech Diving Unlimited carries them and can probalbly answer any questions you have over the phone.
Tech Diving Limited. For the record. :)

(But I make the same mistake everytime I type it in!)

I own 4 Dive Rite canister lights,and even owned their products back to the Neutralight and MLS halogen days. The upside to Diverite is they have been around for a long time,will continue to be around,and support their product with dynamite customer service.

I sold a diverite mr11 to buy a greenforce. I love the GF. It is very robust and one thing not mentioned so far is the GF can be turned on and off at the head I don't have to reach back with bulky dry gloves to find that little toggleswitch any more.

Firebrand:
I'm getting close to purchasing my first canister light, and I'm trying to learn all I need to about them. I've decided I would like to have a rechargeable battery so that I don't need to keep buying and using batteries. Right now I'm torn between a Dive-Rite and Green Force HID light. I would like to hear about the experiences of the Scuba Board users to help me make an informed decision. Here are the properties I would like to have.

6 degree HID Beam
Rechargeable Battery
10 Watts
Medium to long burn time
Reasonable Cost

Please limit your responses to actual dive experiences with the two brands, without "bad-mouthing" one brand or another. I would like to hear actual experiences, both positive and negative, based on actual dive conditions, but nothing where the dive light failed due to user error. All responses should be subjective, not speculative.

Hi Firebrand,

I like your approach. Should you have any question, I would like to make myself available, feel free to PM me.

Thanks - Greg

Thanks for all the feedback. The responses have been great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom