Pro Watt vs. Nite Rider

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badmrchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can pick up a brand new Pro Watt for a little over $200 and a used Blackwater 3000 for about the same price. I'm looking for a new bug hunting light as my sunlight is broken and my light cannon is too damn bright, and both seem to foot the bill nicely. I would like to get some feedback from the rest of you. I like the Niterider because it's smaller and has two lights on it. I like the prowatt because I can double the batteries up for about another $150, and if the battery fails a new one is only $40 vs over $300for the nite rider (GEL vs NiMH). Plus the burn time is better and the head is focusable. I'm not a fan of the bulkiness and weight of the Pro Watt, although they're about the same under water.

I like the HID canisters and all, but they're beaucoup bucks. I don't do video, they're no caves in SoCal, and if I decide to start wreck diving I'll invest the money later. Plus the viz around here can be absolute Junk and sometimes turning on my light cannon is like putting on your high beams in fog. And it scares the lobster.

Any experience out there? Any input is appreciated...

Just a random thought, have you tried using a diffuser on your light canon? Might be cheaper and just as effective to lower the excessive output on the light you already own than buying a whole new light.

That's what I usually do. At the same time though, the whole hands free thing really appeals to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom