How to mount canister on backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy8876

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I managed to pick up a Green Force towel for $750 and got a complimentary flashlight with it. Now I'd like to attach it to my backplate instead of my waist, how do I do this? Any tips or warnings on doing this? I'd really like it stuffed along my back side so it's completely out of the way.

Thanks for the help.

Cave line and bolt snaps?

They also make pony bottle mounting systems that might work, depending on the size of the battery cannister.

Randy8876:
I managed to pick up a Green Force towel for $750 and got a complimentary flashlight with it. Now I'd like to attach it to my backplate instead of my waist, how do I do this? Any tips or warnings on doing this? I'd really like it stuffed along my back side so it's completely out of the way.

Thanks for the help.

Out of curiousity, why do you want to attach the thing to the backplate? I am pretty against putting anything on me that I can't get rid of unless I drop my tanks. Sliding it onto the waist strap, it's secure, I can get to it easily, and I can ditch it in 10 seconds or less. Plus the 10" of webbing and two hose clamps cost about $2.

If you MUST attach it to the backplate, use something that can be cut free.

PerroneFord:
Out of curiousity, why do you want to attach the thing to the backplate? I am pretty against putting anything on me that I can't get rid of unless I drop my tanks. Sliding it onto the waist strap, it's secure, I can get to it easily, and I can ditch it in 10 seconds or less. Plus the 10" of webbing and two hose clamps cost about $2.

If you MUST attach it to the backplate, use something that can be cut free.

Putting it up on the backplate allows me to mount it 100% out of the way. It also is about as negative as a trim weight, so I figured why not ditch a trim weight and replace it with a battery? A few people have mentioned concerns about ditchable weight, but I currently dive without a weight belt so I don't really have any ditchable weight in the first place.

I'll look at using cave line to attach it to snaps that could connect it to the backplate.

As far as connecting it to the waist strap, do you thread another piece of strap over the waist strap and add another buckle? If I put on on my waist strap back by my side it has to be beyond a D ring, so it wouldn't be ditchable that way either. I wore it last night on the waist, and it wasn't as noticable as I thought it would be. It fit snugly and I will give it a couple more tries like that before going with the backplate mounting method.

Randy, I don't know if you noticed when we were on the boat, but mine is mounted on my waist strap. It is pushed all the way back against the back plate and held in place with a buckle. The light has two SS band clamps that hold a loop of webbing on it. The loop goes on the waist band. Honestly I never notice it being there and it's easy to reach the switch on the can when I need to operate it.

Are you asking how to mount it next to your tank? On top of the wing? Otherwise on the waist pushed back is just as good as mounting it to the plate.

Pushing it next to the backplate puts it in nearly the same position as if you tied it to the backplate directly. If you dive without ditchable weight, why wouldn't you leave your light where it's ditchable? It slides right off.

You friend has just described how to install a piece of webbing onto the light. I do the same. It's cheap and easy. If you push it all the way back you shouldn't even know it's there. Everyone I dive with wears their light this way. It's simple and it works. And in an emergency, it can be ditched.

-P

Randy8876:
Putting it up on the backplate allows me to mount it 100% out of the way. It also is about as negative as a trim weight, so I figured why not ditch a trim weight and replace it with a battery? A few people have mentioned concerns about ditchable weight, but I currently dive without a weight belt so I don't really have any ditchable weight in the first place.

I'll look at using cave line to attach it to snaps that could connect it to the backplate.

As far as connecting it to the waist strap, do you thread another piece of strap over the waist strap and add another buckle? If I put on on my waist strap back by my side it has to be beyond a D ring, so it wouldn't be ditchable that way either. I wore it last night on the waist, and it wasn't as noticable as I thought it would be. It fit snugly and I will give it a couple more tries like that before going with the backplate mounting method.

PerroneFord:
Pushing it next to the backplate puts it in nearly the same position as if you tied it to the backplate directly. If you dive without ditchable weight, why wouldn't you leave your light where it's ditchable? It slides right off.

You friend has just described how to install a piece of webbing onto the light. I do the same. It's cheap and easy. If you push it all the way back you shouldn't even know it's there. Everyone I dive with wears their light this way. It's simple and it works. And in an emergency, it can be ditched.

-P

There are quite a few NE wreckdivers who mount the canister to their backplate. There are pros and cons to this setup, but some people seem to like it. It may not be DIR, but not everyone dives DIR. I have seen canisters set up with radiator clamps and D rings and then using a quick link to attach it to the backplate. This can not be cut off, as it is all stainless steel connections. Again, not DIR, but some people like it, and use it this way. With every piece of gear you use diving, you must make the decision what to use and how to use it. Since this is not the DIR forum, mounting the canister to the backplate is a viable option and one that divers must decide for themselves whether they will use or not.

PerroneFord:
Who mentioned DIR?

I did. Knowing that both of you who replied are DIR and are promoting the DIR method of mounting a canister to the harness.

Well,

My instructor (an IANTD Advisory Committee member and NAUI course director) doesn't mount his light there, and he is very anti-DIR. TDI Training Director Larry Green doesn't put his light there either. Tom Mount doesn't either. Neither do a great many divers who I respect and who are not DIR advocates.

This has zero to do with DIR, and more to do with mounting gear on your rig in a manner such that it can be removed, underwater, without the aid of a buddy.

Metal to metal connections have been cited in numerous diving deaths, and yet people persist in using them, despite there being easy and inexpensive ways of getting around it. That is not DIR, that's basic safety.

Come on man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom