Let there be light...but which one???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schaken

New
Reaction score
I would like to get a light and have been reading comments, checking reviews, etc. Naturally, all this has left me confused:confused:, and any input would be appreciated.

My anticipated uses are as follows:
Looking under ledges, into crevices, etc on mostly daytime, warm water dives.
Desire to bring out colors I see in the magazine photos
My daughter using it for night dive certification (?) and - maybe - rare night dives

I came across a review of the Heliotek TE-1 which rated it VERY highly. Anyone familiar with it? While not specifically a scuba light, it will handle around 150 feet (or more..??) which ought to be more than enough for me.

Cost is always a concern, and size/convenience is a factor that seems like it ought to be considered.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

schaken:
I would like to get a light and have been reading comments, checking reviews, etc. Naturally, all this has left me confused:confused:, and any input would be appreciated.

My anticipated uses are as follows:
Looking under ledges, into crevices, etc on mostly daytime, warm water dives.
Desire to bring out colors I see in the magazine photos
My daughter using it for night dive certification (?) and - maybe - rare night dives

I came across a review of the Heliotek TE-1 which rated it VERY highly. Anyone familiar with it? While not specifically a scuba light, it will handle around 150 feet (or more..??) which ought to be more than enough for me.

Cost is always a concern, and size/convenience is a factor that seems like it ought to be considered.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have lights from both Underwater Kinetics and Princeton Tec.

I have the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED as a primary dive light and the Underwater Kinetics SL4 eLED as a backup dive light along with the Underwater Kinetics Q40 Plus eLED.

I sounds like the UK SL4 might be better for you since it costs less and is relatively small. As a primary dive light for night dives I would use the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED.

You can check your LDS, Leisure Pro or Scuba Toys on-line for pricing.

I don't know anything about the Heliotek light.

You're likely going to get many opinions. Here's mine...

I would give serious consideration to Underwater Kinetics new model, the SL4 eLED. It uses LED technology, so no bulb to break if (when) dropped. You get about 10-12 hours of battery life out of its 4 C cells according to various reviews (haven't had mine long enough to tell) and very bright light. It performs well for the daylight applications you mentioned, and is certainly adequate for night dives. It's small enough to fit in a BCD pocket and you won't need a loan to buy it. Enjoy.

on the subject.

Actually, I'm going thru the same process myself, and found the following review most illuminating. Sorry! :wink:

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive_lights/new_generation_dive_lights/

Given the price differential but the relatively close performance, I'm definitely leaning towards the Shockwave LED. I also need to buy my wife/buddy a primary light, and can get two Shockwaves for the price of one Light Cannon. Besides, I've been really happy with Princeton TEC lights that I've used for sea kayaking for a number of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom