Best Primary Dive Light For Lake Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamsharkbait

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to decipher which dive light will work best for lake and quarry diving. The lights I am looking at are the Light Cannon, Princeton Shockwave and the Shockwave II. Most of the reviews I have read compare the lights capabilities in ocean dives and night dives. What I am looking for is what light will work best for moderately murky waters and dim conditions during a daytime dive. Mind you, the ambient light is still very low at depths. The average visibility is around ten feet and there is definitely particles afloat to reflect the light. Its Lake Travis to be exact. I would imagine that the LC will work the best when I reach the darker deeper waters, but what about the intermediate water column at say 50'. Thanks for your advise.

From my experiences in Puget Sound (10 foot viz, dim conditions even in daylight), the brightest and best focused light you can afford is well worth it.

I tried the Light Cannon and it was bright and focused, but a lot of light to carry around and very annoying when dangling from my BC. I bought a Night Rider 10W HID which was much nicer to handle, although significantly more expensive. But I ended up with a 21W Salvo HID light, which I dearly love and has to be close to the ultimate available murky water dive light.

I agree I had a niterider and it was a great light, I still have it for sale used. I wound up with a salvo and couldn't be happier. I now carry the salvo in my store and don't think there is a better light on the market. They are expensive though.

TSandM:
But I ended up with a 21W Salvo HID light, which I dearly love and has to be close to the ultimate available murky water dive light.

I dive in the same conditions as TSandM, in fact, sometimes the exact same conditions. I'll add to the barrage of those recommending a Salvo (stupid pun intended).

I absolutely couldn't imagine diving around here without it. Besides being a source of bright, focussed, light, it is a very effective communication tool. Call your credit card company, sell your car, do whatever it takes, but get one of these lights. You'll develop an almost neurotic affection for it, bringing along extra towels to dive sites to dry it off, buying a nice pelican case to transport it in, and leaving it out on the counter a little too long while it dries so you can look at it.

Yes, I do love my light. I also have been working too much, which probably explains the above post.

I don't know, Doug -- I haven't been working too much, and I'm sitting here gazing fondly at mine. It lives on the counter next to the computer, so I can see it a lot . . . :)

iamsharkbait:
I am trying to decipher which dive light will work best for lake and quarry diving. The lights I am looking at are the Light Cannon, Princeton Shockwave and the Shockwave II. Most of the reviews I have read compare the lights capabilities in ocean dives and night dives. What I am looking for is what light will work best for moderately murky waters and dim conditions during a daytime dive. Mind you, the ambient light is still very low at depths. The average visibility is around ten feet and there is definitely particles afloat to reflect the light. Its Lake Travis to be exact. I would imagine that the LC will work the best when I reach the darker deeper waters, but what about the intermediate water column at say 50'. Thanks for your advise.

I can understand and respect what everyone is saying about the Salvo, and if I had that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket I'd go with that too. If you're looking for something that's better than the UK Light Cannon but won't leave you eating Spaghetti-O's for the next 6 months, check this light out:

http://www.kalex.us/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=37

He quoted me a price of $320 and I live about 15 minutes away so he's throwing in the case for free since he doesn't have to pay shipping. This is the same light as the old Salvo 21W lantern grip- Brightstar 21W bulb. I'm going tomorrow to buy mine. I still dream of the day that I'll get a Salvo 21W can light, but I figure I'll get tons of life out of this until then.

I dive Travis a lot and use a 10 W focusable DiveRite can light,not cheap but makes a world of difference in the murky depths of Travis. Whatever you get I would suggest it is an HID,not an LED.

Thanks everyone. I am not sure that I want to spend that kind of money on a Salvo, but knowing me, I will end up with one some day. No more than 200USD is my range so the Light Canon seems to be the prefered. I was told that the Light Canon creates a fair amount of backscatter due to its brightness and the particles in the water making it seemingly more difficult to make your way around. Is this true and what else would rival the LC in its price range? Thanks again.

I thought the beam on the Light Cannon was pretty well focused. They are commonly used by instructors here, and we have a lot of particulates in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom