Rechargeable batteries for UK HID Light Cannon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

recharcheable batteries are fine.... in some applications. The question you have to ask yourself is: what are they used for and how long should they provide power.

NiMH batteries have a fairly level discharge curve and 'go down' quite rapidly when they reach critical point. This means you will not always notice that they are at the end of their charge. The light goes off/diminishes quickly. (depending on light technology)

If your dive is << than the cut of point you should be fine. If your dive is approximately the same, I would think twice. On the other hand if you have backup lights, this may not be an issue. Where/what type of diving is the light going to be used for?

Meng_Tze:
recharcheable batteries are fine.... in some applications. The question you have to ask yourself is: what are they used for and how long should they provide power.

NiMH batteries have a fairly level discharge curve and 'go down' quite rapidly when they reach critical point. This means you will not always notice that they are at the end of their charge. The light goes off/diminishes quickly. (depending on light technology)

If your dive is << than the cut of point you should be fine. If your dive is approximately the same, I would think twice. On the other hand if you have backup lights, this may not be an issue. Where/what type of diving is the light going to be used for?

Strictly open water diving. Mostly night diving, though I may take it on some deeper daytime dives. I also carry a Photo Torpedo LED backup in the event of a failure of the primary light, and I'd also carry a UK C6 backup backup in the drysuit pocket on the night dives. I'm planning to go on a 3 day liveaboard trip in a couple of weeks, and the thought of sending handfuls of dead batteries to the landfill after the trip doesn't sound so appealing (not to mention the cost of all those batteries.)

Let us know how that new Darkbuster Works, it looks great.

Seems like you made your choice, but I recommend Li ion packs.
There are very few disadvantages, and the only one to worry about is the loss of capacity with age. This can be nearly eliminated to 1% or so per year by keeping it half charged in your fridge while not in use. My HID has several hours burn time, I never worry about it fading after a dive. In my view Li ion seems superior to NimH.

mkaug:
Let us know how that new Darkbuster Works, it looks great.

HAHAHA. Well, in typical indecisive fashion, after reversing course many times I landed back on going with the UK Light Cannon. I don't doubt that the Darkbuster is a great light (btw, the quote I got from Kalex is $320) but what I'm looking for at the moment is a good light to hold me over until I can get a canister light. After waffling back and forth, I couldn't justify paying 2x for the Darkbuster, knowing that it will get relegated to the spare parts shelf as soon as I can muster up the funds for the can light.

Sooooo, when all was said and done the good folks at Scubatoys were very nice to me. I ordered the UK on Tuesday morning, cancelled it on Tuesday afternoon (they literally ran and grabbed it off the UPS truck) and then I called and reordered it on Wednesday. They had every right to call me a jackass, but instead provided great service and I even got the SB discount (both times) :) Kudos to them.

Back
Top Bottom