Princeton LED vs. Xenon or... $100 vs. $50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nerobanchee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For the money...

What would be the best for occasional night diving in Southern and Northern California (and every once in a while tropical areas)?

1. Princeton Tec Shockwave II LED ($100)
2. Princeton Tec Shockwave II Xenon ($50)

I mostly do murky water, ie, Northern California... Is the LED worth the extra $100? I know the bulbs are more durable and they use less battery juice, but what other benefits do they have?

I also heard that the xenon bulbs are easier to see with; they dont brighten too many particles making the water harder to see in...

Any personal experiences with either light? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!!!:D

I have the Shockwave LED and I have to say it's a great light for the money. I've only used it on a night dive at Catalina, so it wasn't exactly murky water. I can't compare to the Xenon either since I haven't used that one, but I'm very happy with my LED.

-Francis

Hey, we are both doing the same thing, but at different schools! Im up in HSU in Northern California studying Marine Bio (with scientific diving and oceanography minor). Fun! Thanks for the info with the light :)

Ah! HSU was actually my second choice, but I opted for something closer to home. That's cool! I'm planning to do research diving myself, although I really wish we had it as a minor here at UCSB like you guys.

-Francis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom