SALVO 12 Watt LED Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Gang,

Last weekend I went to Ginnie and our team dove 3 of the new Salvo LED 12W lights.

I am writing a somewhat condensed report, as I am getting ready to head up to BTS for 5 days.

WOW WOW WOW, was I impressed with the LED's! The cannister is literally the size of a red-bull can, and is sealed! You charge it through the head. There is no switch on the cannister either, it is activated by turning the head 1/4 turn. Therefore you could mount the cannister on your plate if you so desired, and wouldn't have to worry about reaching the switch!

As far as the performance, it was a BETTER light than any 10W HID, for a few reasons.

1. Durability, I literally threw the light up in the air across 2 picnic tables and let it land on another picnic table. NO PROBLEMS!

2. I grabbed the light head, held it out in front of me, and let it swing down (like a pendulum) until it hit the leg of the picnic table. Again, No problems.

3. The light can be turned on / off without fear of harming the emitter.

4. The beam is not as pinpoint as the HID, but it lights and signals better, as the light is more "natural" and covers a greater area, although the spot itself is a little larger.

5. The light DEFINITELY shoots farther than the HID! I don't know the physics behind the color spectrum to achieve this, but the dam thing really goes!

6. Charging was very very fast. After a full day of diving, it took the light 35 minutes to fully recharge.

All in all, I am really impressed. I have sold all of my 10W HID's and will not be carrying any of them in the future. The 12W LED is just a much better light all around.

I will be having a BIG sale on Salvo lights after BTS. If anyone here wants a light, PM or Email me and I'll get to it after next Tuesday. It's worth the wait.

See you all at the show. If you're going to BTS, give me a shout.

The full line of SALVO lights are available on my website now.

Safe Diving
biggrin.gif

Thank You for the Review
without as intense a hot spot how is this light a better signal light
Is the Head sealed with double O rings ? any danger of turning on by mistake
can the canister be opened for service or to show a TSA worker that it is a battery pack
and avoid suspicion
Thank You

RN

I really want to see pictures of this thing in use against the 10W HID. The pics Barry put up don't seem to show the advantages of the LED, but the in-person reviews are so enthusiastic that I think there's got to be more to the story than the ceiling tiles suggest.

THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES?????? Really????

Wow.

Christmas seems a long way away . . .

Thank you Mike for your report about Salvo light. I'm looking right now for that can light but the LED 21W lights but I'm wondering about the 6 degres angle of the focus, is that to narrow or it's ok?

Sounds like an awefully nice light! Man, I must have missed you at BTS. I'll have to get more acquainted with people that will have booths. Were you representing your shop?

Hi Bud,

I was working the Oxycheq booth, and walking around with a big yellow "Oxycheq experimental dive team" T-shirt on. Maybe if I dressed like the dude with the animal skins, cowboy boots, spurs, sunglasses, and Mr.T style chains you would have seen me :D

I will be posting a sale for the lights either today or tomorrow. We drove 20 hours straight back from BTS to Marianna, and I just got back to the shop this morning. I have over 500 E-mails to go thru. My head should explode by 4 pm.

Safe Diving

Hi Mike,

I was by the Oxycheq booth about ten times. After seeing your mug shot, I recognize you.

I've been to three shows now and I still have no idea who that guy is. Always dresses the same, I thought maybe he was a pimp or something...:D I was hot with a t-shirt on, so he had to have a portable air conditioner under them thar dead animals. Plus, he had enough turquiose jewelry to stock a good size store. All Navajo Kingston jewelry too! heavy....

I never realize how LONG a drive it was from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale. HOLY CRAP! I won't make that drive again....Next trip to Fla will be north central for cave training with Bird over in Crystal River. I'll catch ya next show.

Jack

he had to have a portable air conditioner under them thar dead animals.

Are you REALLY sure they were dead? I thought one of them hissed at me! :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom