Has anyone used the new Salvo rebel led?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpatmore

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was on the seriously considering a salvo 10w HID. Before I commited, the new Rebel LEDs were released.

Am interested to hear if anyone has any first hand experience of them ? I have seen another thread on here with a review of it, but that is buy a reseller.

If anyone had tried it, I would be interested to hear any feedback. In particular I am interested in the 12W.

I'm guessing Salvo must be pretty confident that it is the best light in that range, as they have stopped the 10W HID.

Thanks
John

My 12W should be here in a couple of days, and I'll be diving with it all next week. I'll post something when I get back. I'm thinking I'll want to change to a rigid Goodman handle, but I'll try the elastic one first.

Thanks for the link, but I believe the guy that posted that review is a dealer, and is probably slightly biased !

Cheers
John

Yes, he is a dealer but he is a stand-up guy. The technical and cave community is not a huge one. The HID vs. LED war is also a pretty heated one so for Salvo (one of the most respected light makers) to abandon their 10w HID in favor of the LED is a pretty strong statement. I think Mike posted the detailed review for the benefit of the tech diving community. You don't need to "sell" Salvo lights, they pretty much speak for themselves. If you read the entire thread, others who are not dealers are chiming in as well and confirming the report. You can read into it however you'd like, but I wouldn't look at his review as a sales pitch.

You can believe to BATTLES2A5. The new LED, which is used by SALVO is realy much better than the 10W HID bulb (WA and Brightstar).
We use the same LED in our systems PHOTON and LED-CAVE here in Germany. The feedback from the divers is fantastic. Maybe you read, that we try to build the perfect light with this LED (OSTAR by Osram).

Michael

Of course the ostar led is, for the moment the best led available.
But i own a 10 watt hid and leds lights from my buddies are far better lights than my own. Whiter light, better penetration with 3X3 WATT lighthead.
So, im more than convinced that 10 watt hid have no more future in the divelight industry.

My light worked nicely for two nights, then failed. A similar failure was reported on Yorkshire Divers. Salvo was very helpful when I spoke to them and will be pulling apart the units when they come back to solve the problem. That being said, I might end up upgrading to the 21W LED. I like the small size of the 12W for travel, the light is very neutral and bright, although not bright enough for signaling in clear daytime Caribbean waters. I'm thinking I would prefer a more traditional design, with a solid Goodman handle rigidly attached to the light head, and a separate switch on the canister. Salvo is willing to do either and I'm happy with their response. It's a new product and sometimes stuff just happens.

My light worked nicely for two nights, then failed. A similar failure was reported on Yorkshire Divers. Salvo was very helpful when I spoke to them and will be pulling apart the units when they come back to solve the problem. That being said, I might end up upgrading to the 21W LED. I like the small size of the 12W for travel, the light is very neutral and bright, although not bright enough for signaling in clear daytime Caribbean waters. I'm thinking I would prefer a more traditional design, with a solid Goodman handle rigidly attached to the light head, and a separate switch on the canister. Salvo is willing to do either and I'm happy with their response. It's a new product and sometimes stuff just happens.

Hmmm I am not happy to here that as I just sent my 21watt Rebel back after it failed during it's first dive.

My Salvo 10w HID worked wonderfully all weekend. I bought it over the LED for the secure goodman handle that's not available on the 12w LED.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom